From Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Sydney Harbour
February 23rd 2011
Published: February 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Fremantle was a really nice place – the stops never seem long enough to do everything we want and there certainly wasn’t time to get into Perth itself. It was a shame we were late arriving because of engine problems but they did decide to tag two hours on to the return time. Oh well there will just have to be a next time.

As we arrived in port there were lots of people welcoming the boat in lining all the jetties along with lots of small boats and a couple of helicopters. Always find this quite emotional but not sure why as it is really just like train spotting and that has never given me cause to well up! It was very hot and as usual there were long queues to get off. On this occasion there was a little Japanese couple behind us who became more and more irate – well the chap did anyway – at one point I thought he was going to fall on his sword or use it on some of those trying to blend into the queue, rather than going to the back. Anyway once we were off we took the shuttle bus into the port, later discovering it would have been much quicker to walk. The local people were very welcoming and the town was very unspoiled and quaint. Lots of pretty buildings. We had a look around and then went into the backpackers hostel from where I sent the last blog. We then did a tourist tram ride around the area getting off when we arrived at what was reckoned to be Western Australia’s best fish and chip shop. They were amazing!!!! Scott had wondered why they were advertised as WAs Western Australia’s Best Fish and Chip shop until he realized there was an apostrophe in WA’s meaning the place not the word was!! It was then time to get back to the ship so we walked down to the port deciding that it was a place we should come back to.

Once back on board I made my first telephone call of the journey which was to Jack, from the shed in our cabin. Suddenly a screaming woman started hurling abuse from the next balcony for me to shut up as I was “waking the whole town up”. It was 7pm, we were tied up in port with all the noise from below, the loud speaker going off and just a general hum of things happening, I was probably 60 seconds into the call when the unbalanced screaming began. I am unsure as to which of the 2 women, who share a cabin next door, it was who was doing the impersonation of a banshee but it was definitely very scary. The old bats are doing the world cruise also but we have never spoken to them as Scott had already made his mind up that they were probably witches (and not the good type), they are both quite old and very scary looking with white hair, hooked noses and warts!! Their dinner table is near to ours in the dining room and each time they put new passengers on their table for 6 it remains for 6 for one night only and then reverts back to just the 2 of them – I should imagine this is when the other poor folk get the measure of them and request a move. Anyway it was an interesting experience but I did not challenge them and have neither made eye contact with them or acknowledged their presence since (I don’t think I had before either) for fear of a spell being cast.

The other thing in the port I didn’t like seeing was a huge huge huge cargo ship which was being filled with sheep and cows to be taken to the Middle East. If I remember correctly they take about 130,000 sheep in each load. I found this horribly disturbing and cruel, the poor souls were certainly not made for cruising!!

After this we had two days at sea between Perth and Adelaide but unfortunately the weather was pants. Cold, blowy and rain – certainly not ‘sitting out’ weather. The ship put out a warning advising people not to go outside in case they got blown off the deck (maybe the witches had cast a spell!)

When we got to Adelaide it was really just to let some passengers end their cruise there and pick up some new ones so we were only given the morning on shore. This was definitely not long enough and coupled with the fact that it was a Sunday we did not see nearly enough of the place. It was a bit like a Benny Hill bus tour – people queuing
FremantleFremantleFremantle

Waiting for my fish and chips
to get off, walking quickly to get on buses, which then took them off into the centre of Adelaide, where everyone walked around quickly, quickly taking photos of anything interesting, quickly searching out stuff to buy, quickly finding internet cafes then quickly returning to the coaches which then took them back to the ship. I must say though I had an absolutely brilliant moment as we were walking through the port building, there was a lady carrying a baby kangaroo who had been orphaned, and I was allowed to stroke him – he was gorgeous!!!

The centre of Adelaide was very nice, quite a small place with very traditional looking buildings and loads and loads of churches!!! Must have been built to keep all those convicts in check! The shops were nice and they had opened especially early as they knew the ship was coming in and not for long. Still it was long enough to find a pair of shoes to buy, a book to read and some magazines. Couldn’t get over the price of books – they were extortionate!!! I had picked up 3 but then saw the price on the back so put 2 down again.
Back on board went to the sail away party where flotillas of boats accompanied the ship away from the harbour area, along with sea scooters and helicopters. We then sailed through the Tasmanian Sea and once again the weather deteriorated and the sea became very rough. Fortunately it doesn’t make either of us sick but they don’t allow you out on deck so it is a bit limiting!!

After dinner we went into the casino where I lost all my winnings from the other night along with the original 20 dollar investment so that’s the end of that. Then with a lack of stuff to do we did a refresher course for Dale and Frank of Uno (we found one in a shop in Adelaide), took a bottle of wine into one of the bars which was already shut and sat until the early hours. As different places closed the Winter Gardens (where we were) became busier with other people doing the same thing, although I must say they weren’t all playing Uno, so the music was put back on and it turned into an enjoyable night.

I must mention that changes have happened and the vast majority of passengers are now Aussies as opposed to Brits with still the smattering of other nationalities. With these changes has come the understanding of “dress code”. A lot of the Aussies see smart casual as their best shorts and t-shirts where as the guide lines by Cunard is for slacks – but don’t suppose this translates well. This has made people watching a whole lot more interesting. Especially the brown sandals and black socks at the bottom half and the different array of hats – from Indiana Jones hats to Eddie the Eagle ones on the very top!!

Also I never realized that so many people went cruising so often. It is very unusual to come across cruise virgins. The old stalwarts refer lovingly to the Cunard ships as “The Mary”, “The Elizabeth” and “The Victoria” making reference to the old “Elizabeth 2” with complete disregard to the fact they are royalty. They wax lyrical in telling tales of old how grand these ships were and how standards have fallen of late but the continue to book for their future cruises whilst still on board. The 2012 World Cruises are allegedly almost sold out now – it beggers belief
Baby Kangaroo - AdelaideBaby Kangaroo - AdelaideBaby Kangaroo - Adelaide

I would love one of these
that there is a slump on and especially the tale one gets told about all the suffering pensioners – we’ve seen thousands on here. The 2 stalwarts on our table are now known affectionately as “the Judy” and ‘the Joan”. Long may it reign I say.

I must just describe the two other ladies who have been on our dinner table during this leg of the journey. Judy, an Australian 60 something year old and Joan, a lady in her 70s from Corby in UK, who have known one another for some time and who met on a Cunard cruise. Each have done lots and lots and lots of cruises. They appear to know all staff and be on first name terms with most of the officers. In fact, Joan got a mention at the Captains cocktail as she has spent over 1,700 days on board a Cunard ship. Judy takes two or three cruises per year and knows everything there is to know about everyone and everything in the cruising world, or so she likes to have us believe. They regale us every evening with tales, most of which aren’t that interesting, of the happenings of time gone by, the present time and the future. They tell us of conquests made and nearly made with Judy doing most of the talking, Joan only interjecting to disagree with a minor detail now and again, with Judy prefixing each tale with “this was soooo funny” when, with the best will in the world, it usually isn’t. Anyway we politely sit there with Scott and Frank wearing a glazed look and me trying to kick Dale under the table as she asks them another question and with each answer stretching to up to a 40 minute diatribe, it can be a bit mind numbing, although mostly it’s amusing. Right am now in danger of doing exactly the same thing to you poor people so I will stop.

Tomorrow we arrive in Sydney for a couple of days. Here we are meeting Issie (Scott’s sister) so very much looking forward to that. I do hope the weather picks up again though.

Until the next time, love to all.

Said goodbye to our Aussie friends who leave the ship tomorrow – we will miss them. Also to “the Joan” who is going across to the Queen Elizabeth tomorrow. A pleasant but quiet evening as everyone needs to be up by 5.30am to get on deck as we team up with the Queen Elizabeth to sail into Sydney Harbour together. Looking forward to meeting Issie and her friend Anne in Sydney in the morning.

Awoke very early as the ship was doing strange manouvres during the night – think it was possibly early to wherever it was teaming up with the other ship. Drifted off again and awoke when Issie sent a text to say she was watching the ships come in infront of the Sydney Opera House. A quick leap out of bed and what a view from the shed window – awesome!!!

Scott took loads and loads of photos – their were lots and lots of boats out in the harbour and 10 helicopters all buzzing the ships. The two big ships kept sounding their hooters and the lights were all on on the Harbour Bridge with loads of people on shore welcoming them in. It was fabulous!!

We were off the ship by 8.15am and this time without any queues at all – quite remarkable!! Caught the shuttle bus into the centre where it was great to meet up with Issie and her pal Anne. They took us on a great tour – down to the Opera House, where the Queen Elizabeth is docked, and then around the harbour and through an old part of the city. Was really great with lots of art houses, craft shops, restaurants and bars. We then walked across Sydney Harbour Bridge and admired the views – it really is such a wonderful place. Later we all collapsed in a heap and took some lunch. The one slightly sad thing was that it kept raining on and off but it certainly didn’t spoil our visit one bit. After lunch we walked through the city and saw some great areas and some lovely shops. Sadly the time went all too quickly and it was time for Issie and Anne to say goodbye. Unfortunately during this time we also heard the sad news about the earthquake in Christchurch – it sounds quite bad and we are now fairly certain that we won’t be going there on Saturday but will await news from Cunard as to where we will go.

Back in cabin for a break before hitting the town tonight. Will
AdelaideAdelaideAdelaide

This was made of wine corks - now we know what to do with our spare time!!
catch up again soon. xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Our dinner tableOur dinner table
Our dinner table

L-R - The Joan, german translator, The Judy, Frank, Dale, Scott and me
Queen ElizabethQueen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth

Following us in to Sydney Harbour
Opera HouseOpera House
Opera House

We turned left just before it
SydneySydney
Sydney

Anne, Issie, Scott and Queen Elizabeth!
Anne, Issie and SuAnne, Issie and Su
Anne, Issie and Su

These 2 were brilliant tour guides!! Thank you so much
Tour guides at lunchTour guides at lunch
Tour guides at lunch

Resting the feet
Putting Platers on Scott's FeetPutting Platers on Scott's Feet
Putting Platers on Scott's Feet

Tour guides had worn him out!
MonorailMonorail
Monorail

going to have to have a go


23rd February 2011

Plasters on Scott's feet
Not sure what platers are but maybe try them the next time
23rd February 2011

Fab
Hi salty sea dogs Glad you are having a fab time, Australia is great, especially Sydney. The ship must be the best place to people watch, stay away from the witches we want our old pals back spell free :) We are well, just back from a trip to Scotland, had a great time as usual Michael, Fiona & the Children are coming down at the beginning of march so will have to prepare ourselves mentally & physically for that. Amelie is a wee daredevil, she has no fear, which is very scary, she was in A&E on saturday getting her lip glued, I think she will be there often! Anyway you two continue having a fab time, see you in the summer Lots of love X
23rd February 2011

Wow
You are really getting us jealous now, the sail into sidney sounds fantastic, you have a new career Su, travel writer! i have laughed my head off at your descriptions , i recognise the "judy and joan, remember seeing them in the Kings court at midnight when they had gone for a cuppa following a night of dancing with those handsome dance hosts(not).hope new Zealand is fab tho very sad about Christchurch, you got to Diamond yet???, love Wendy and Phil stuck in the fog rain and cold.
24th February 2011

Great Scott!
What are platers is this some kind of foot fetish to be practised in the open! You two are devils, its fun fun fun with you two. Glad you are having a great time. I have heard from a couple of fellow travellers since I have been back. Best wishes
24th February 2011

Glad you are trying to have fun!! Sounds all great apart from your 2 witch friends next door - should have told them where to go! How fab that you met up with Scott's sister - small world right enought then. It was terrible news about Christchurch - and so sudden. Let's hope you still get to see some other parts of New Zealand. Been wet, wet, wet here since about Monday so you are missing nothing!! Graeme and Sheri left on Tuesday after a great 2 weeks - the house is so very quiet again - I dont like!! Keep doing what you are doing - I love all the gossip. Have a great time and lots of love x x

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb