King Tide at Sydney Harbour


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Sydney Harbour
January 18th 2009
Published: January 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=b7mfRmNB9gE]Sydney. Another Sunday, another hangover. Will we never learn?

It was meant to be a restrained evening. Chrissie had to fly off to Brisbane for work the next day, wasn't going to have a drink. We've been inhibited a bit by last Saturdays effort, so all was looking good.
The clue though is in where we were going.

Met up at the Opera house bar, sun shining but not too hot. Tragically the first bottle of sav. blanc slid down all too easily. As did the second. 8 o'clock came and it was time for us to head off to The Basement where we were going to see King Tide, an Aussie reggae/ska/dub outfit. For the first time in years I fell foul of a dress code. "Errr, we don't usually allow shorts in here Sir". So B offered to swap her jeans with my shorts. Anyway a bit of negotiation went on and I was eventually allowed to enter still wearing my (very smart) shorts, along with the instruction "If anyone says anything just tell 'em you own the place". OK then 😊

Was so relieved to get in, I got stuck into some more gooseberry and citrus juice. King Tide were excellent, from the moment they started playing the dancefloor was heaving. Played for hours, consequently I drank for hours. Result - a day written off. Bet it still don't learn me though.

King Tide are playing WOMADelaide in March. They'd go down a storm at WOMAD at Charlton Park, I'd love to see them there.

It's going to be sad leaving Sydney, if there's one thing that unites B and I it's a fondness for (warm) 'Cities by the sea'.

Still, it's exciting that we land in the new presidents birth state on the day of his inauguration. We'll be there for what we hope will be the dawn of a new direction, a new mood and a new appreciation of all the good that the US has to offer the rest of the world.

We've had an absolute blast in Sydney, been to some great bars, the ones around the opera house are fab for people watching - Bungalow 8 at Darling harbour was also good. We went back there to see Enter the Dragon - oh yes! the soundtrack was a live performance by Karsh Kale & Midival Punditz, really good. Seem to have spent a lot of time eating - Wagamamas became a favourite.

King Tide were great the basement was a sweet venue, think Jon got drunker than me! Only 'cos I danced at the front of the stage, and on it.......thus leaving him with the wine......ooops!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb