Sydney: The Opera House


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Opera House
May 6th 2007
Published: May 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

DAY 3:

There was no escape. Cliche or no cliche. I had to pay a visit to the Opera House. We set out for the harbour in the late morning, after a delicious breakfast in a little Newtown cafe just 10 metres from Katherine's door step (which was just as well because Saturday night had been a late one). It was yet another glorious day. Sun shining. Not a cloud in the big blue sky.

On arrival at the harbour we decided to take a walk around instead of heading straight to the Opera House. It was worth it with some lovely views of said building from across the bay. We were also able to admire the Sydney harbour bridge and the skyscrapers of downtown. But the main event was still walking over to the Opera House. I thought it would not look as good close up, but actually it was even more impressive. The arches are stunning and just generally its architecture is beautiful and pretty unique (as far as I know). I think it was built in the 70s which makes its elegance even more of an achievement! I don't think there's any need to say much more about the Opera House, the pictures tell the rest of the story I think.

In the afternoon it was time to do some shopping at long last and for this we headed to Bondi beach. I will not bore you with details of shopping. Suffice to say I found some nice stuff and I was happy! Then we sat for a coffee near the beach and enjoyed the sunset. This was the third beautiful beach I had been to in Sydney in as many days. Surely, that has to make it the best city in the world? OK, maybe not the best but certainly in the top 10. After watching yet another lovely sunset, we set off home. And that was the end of my first trip to Sydney (more or less). Many many thanks to Katherine for being a fantastic hostess and to Neil for hanging out with us. Cheers guys.

Enjoy the photos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

The Opera HouseThe Opera House
The Opera House

In the daylight and in all its glory
Wind swept on the stepsWind swept on the steps
Wind swept on the steps

Neil and Katherine at the Opera House
View from the Opera HouseView from the Opera House
View from the Opera House

This is just one of many beatiful views from around the Opera House, this one onto the nearby park
Me at BondiMe at Bondi
Me at Bondi

with lots of shopping bags!
Sunset at BondiSunset at Bondi
Sunset at Bondi

Beautiful pink sky!
Kat and I enjoy a hot chocolateKat and I enjoy a hot chocolate
Kat and I enjoy a hot chocolate

After a tough afternoon of shopping, we sat down by the beach for a well-deserved delicious hot beverage


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 84; dbt: 0.0987s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb