It was all going so well.....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Mosman
January 13th 2010
Published: January 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So this is once again our last day in Sydney. However we thought this 2 days ago when we tried to leave!

Before this drama we shall fill u in on our New Year celebrations. We went to Bradleys Head which is on the harbour front on the opposite side to the Opera House. We had amazing views of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. Got there at 9am, only 30 ish ppl, some who had put up tents and blankets the night before. It drizzled in the morning, so that was nice to spend it under our umbrellas. In the afternoon the weather cleared up and the sun came out and then it was too hot. More ppl arrived with picnics and blankets and gradually the grassy areas were all gone under ppl. The harbour area in front of us was also filling up with boats, and the masts started to block our view.....
The first fireworks were at 9pm, meant for the children. We listened to a radio as they were to music but it seemed not many ppl new this. The fireworks came off 4 barges in different areas of the harbour, one which was right in front of us. We were luckily able to see the fireworks from all 4, so the whole sky was lit up.
Then Carina had a nap, while more ppl arrived and tried to invade our space.

So finally midnight. and the countdown on the radio and 15 mins of fireworks started. They came of the barges, the bridge and the office buildings in the CBD behind the opera house. This year it cost the council 5 million dollars, for 40 tonnes of fireworks. It was amazing, almost worth the 15hrs wait! Then we had the long walk home up hill back to Taryns house. Met Taryn and family for a New Years Day breakfast feast.

Since then we have done lots of eating with Carina's family. Carina's Dad arrived and we did more eating. Ate in Chinatown lots and had BBQ's, so Irene everyone who met Russ has tried to feed him up. In Carina'a family being thin is not an option...

Went to the Casino, Auntie Lol tried to teach Carina how to play.... Swam in the Hotel attached to the casino's pool with younger cousins.
Ate lots of fish at the Fish Market, octopus, oysters, soft shell crab, squid, lobster. Yummy yummy yummy.
Russ walked over the Harbour Bridge, we both went up the Pylon, which is one of the supporting towers of the bridge. Good views all around.

So the drama. Got the airport and tried to check in, but we were refused as we didnt have onwards travel booked back home to England. However the airline was so bad at explaining we asked 2 different ppl and then went to air new Zealand to explain it again. They told us we either needed to book a flight back to London or get an Argentinian visa in 35 mins. Tried visiting offices to buy tickets but all empty, went on free internet but no luck. Went back to check in to nice man Frank, who moved our flight for us. He did us a deal where we only paid 50 dollar change fee each...phew! Tried customs to find our the NZ immigration laws to enter but they were useless. So we went all the way back to Taryn's house were she kindly lent us her floor again. Next day we went to STA travel to book the rest of our flights back home, then to NZ immigration to confirm that with this they would let us in, and back to STA to pay! This took the whole day, but we now have a plan for our return trip and a date to fly home.

Flight dates as follows
Quito to Lima then Lima to Havana 25/4/10

Havana to Mexico City 9/5/10
Mexico City to Las Vagas 13/5/10

New York- London 18/6/10

We have booked the 7 day Inca Trail 23/3/10 so have to be fit by then

This is the grand plan so parents take note of dates, and see you all when we get back on the 18th June😊




Matt and Gaby thanks for the christmas money it arrived safely in bank account

Mum and Dad A, thanks for your Christmas money.

Family Andrews, now we have booked the Las Vagas dates, arriving 13/5/10. If you still want to come and meet us, Elvis and Barry we will be there too

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb