Diamond Princess


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Mona Vale
January 29th 2009
Published: January 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

CarolineCarolineCaroline

Looking exceptionally well
Day 83


We had every intention of going to Sydney today, our plan was to get the bus in to Manley, then the Fast Cat ferry over to Circular key. Once we had some breakfast and by the time we got ourselves together we looked at the bus time table and found that we would have to wait another 45 minutes for a bus, so we drove directly to Manley parked in the Australian equivalent of an NCP carpark and jumped on the fast cat from there.

The Ferry ride is only half an hour, really pleasant in the sunshine, we sat at the front of the boat as if we were on a school outing. . I had heard on the radio this morning about a cruise liner that was in or coming in at 9.00 today, but that’s all I caught.

Arriving at Circular Quay, as we did in 2007 but from the other direction, it was a beautiful day and already a very warm day, there in the Ocean going berth, was the Diamond Princess.

Diamond Princess is a large cruise ship owned and operated by Princess Cruises. She began operation in March 2004 and primarily cruises in Alaska during the summer and the Mexican Riviera in the winter. Her only sister ship is the Sapphire Princess as both were built in Japan by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries although these vessels share many features with Ruby Princess and Crown Princess and together all four vessels are referred to as Gem Class.
The ship's hull was originally due to be called the Sapphire Princess. Construction was delayed when a huge fire swept through the decks ship during construction. Because the ship's completion would be delayed for sometime, her sister ship which was being constructed at the same time assumed the role of the Sapphire. This name swap helped to keep the delivery date of the Sapphire on time, while delaying the delivery of the Diamond.

This ship was a giant, absolutley massive and it looked so well placed against the backdrop of Sydney buildings, the sheer size of it towered over and above the harbour and the many small boats in it paled into insignificance even that of “La Masquerade” a very large plush yacht that no doubt belonged to someone very wealthy.

Caroline couldn’t wait to head in to town, she had
The NarrabeenThe NarrabeenThe Narrabeen

Manly Ferry
her shopping radar receieving signals loud and clear.

Poor Andy, I dragged him into the main shopping street in Sydney and once I could see the shops I was entranced, I remembered how lovely they were and full of lovely things to see and buy!

We needed a few bits and pieces from the Clinique counter including some more Clinique. The Clinique assistant tried to engage in conversation with Andy, the usual “can I help you sir?” in a bid to sell more product. Andy immediately becomes defensive as he likes to be left alone to shop. The Clinique assistant diverted her attention to me, I had asked her a question after all, then she tried to persuade me to purchase 2 more items in the sun care range so that I could get a beach bag and if I purchased yet another product then I would get the beach towel too. I looked at the lovely beach bag and thought that would be handy but I am not buying any more than what we came in for. A little bit of chat later I left with my Clinique goodies in my new beach bag, me being the
Who's HidingWho's HidingWho's Hiding

..behind the Opera House?
victor in that small battle.

I also took the opportunity to look at some clothes on the fashion floor of a department store, Andy of course reminding me that I won’t be needing anything like this on our journey. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait until we are both working again.
We looked in a book shop for some good holiday reading, however neither of us saw anything that we fancied, although I do love a good novel I found that they are quite expensive here with some of my favourite authors being over $32.00 for a paperback.
By now I could sense that Andy was getting annoyed with the hustle and bustle of the busy street and suggested that we walk back to Circular Quay and walk around there.

Andy commented, "walking around everyone had a mobile phone to their ear, or talking to someone, and just not paying attention, it just reinforces my dislike for big cities"

As a nostalgic moment, we walked around the harbour, to just under the bridge and the Sebel Pier where we stayed in 2007. We went in for coffee but ended up with a gin and
Diamond PrincessDiamond PrincessDiamond Princess

.... coming into view
tonic, it was nice to cast our minds back to fond memories of being here with Gary and Karen.
The afternoon was baking and Sydney was crowded with tourists espcially from the Diamond Princess, we headed up to the Opera house for a look around, I do accept that we have been here before and it wouldn’t have changed, it was more to reaquaint ourselves with it again, and say hello.

It was great to be in Sydney, but equally great to be getting out, if you know what I mean.
We caught the 4.00 ferry heading back to Manly, where we spied a supemarket, so when we jumped off the ferry, we headed straight in as our provisions were low.

Driving through the evening traffic was just like home, it was busy and backed up, the only difference was that the M3 and the Avenue don’t have the ocean view. We got back and did all the boring stuff like put the shopping away and do something to eat and wash up, then the evening was ours.

He’s where I tell you a funny story.
Back on the 11th November 2008 Caroline and myself were walking through Singapore airport on route to Brisbane, we had just handed our very overweight luggage to Singapore Airlines, without any penalties, feeling smug (relieved!) that this airline was not going to winkle anymore cash out of us.

We heard a voice behind us, “ So your Emigrating then” we both spin around on our heels and a tall gentleman and a blond lady engage us in converstaion. They asked us again about what we were doing and we told them the whole 9 yards, I’m surprised they didn’t run off sreaming,once I started talking. Anyway they explained to us that they were both retired and their daughter lives in Sydney and they spend 6 months of every year from November to April there, they have a beach house for the want of a better word. Well finishing off the converstaion Lionel and Janet said “ If you are ever in Sydney Drop in and have a cup of tea this us.”

The morning after we pulled into this Big 4 a couple of nights ago, we were sitting and talking about the previous nights escapade of driving around Sydney, Caroline said, "you will never guess what, do you
GemsGemsGems

A pair of engineering gems
remember Lionel and Janet? The couple we met at Singapore, and when they said here’s our address well their address is this camp site!"

So sitting there last night, they were sitting in the Beach house not 300 meters from where we where. We have met truly loads of people who have said “next time your passing drop in” some have even said come and stay with us, but here lies the problem, as time eleapses people tend to forget what has been said and when you turn up at someone’s door and go Tah’da it can be an awkward situation.

We walked over to Lionel and Janets beach house and did just that, Tah’da its us, do you remember what you said? “If you are ever in Sydney Drop in and have a cup of tea with us.”, well here we are. We had an absolutely fantastic evening just talking, putting the world to rights and just discussing this huge country. I have to say a great cup of tea always goes down well, especially with Madeira lemon cake. Tomorrow we have to drop by to take their picture, as It has to go on the blog.It was fantastic to see them they looked really well and obviously enjoying life and we thank them for their hospitality.

Its been ages since we have had such a late night, so we wandered back to the trailer and hit the sack.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Blunt EndThe Blunt End
The Blunt End

Derriere of a Princess
Twin BridgesTwin Bridges
Twin Bridges

What a great office for the Captain.
Diamond PrincessDiamond Princess
Diamond Princess

as we leave Circular Wharf, the Diamond Princess gets smaller.
Her name in lightsHer name in lights
Her name in lights

I got this one for you Keely. Andy
Side onSide on
Side on

And this one
Sydney Opera HouseSydney Opera House
Sydney Opera House

The beautiful opera House. The Danish Architect never saw the finished project.


14th February 2009

Diamond Princess
Hey you guys the DP pics are absolutely fabulous. Caz if you get chance I would love you to email me them as there are a couple here that are good enough for our Exotics brochure which I will be working on later this year and I am sure I can get them in. No rush but just if you get chance within the next few weeks. I'd really appreciate it. Loving the blog still - it all sounds so fantastic. Well its Valentines Day and I have just spent the afternoon catching up on your blog - Denz is being Mr Romantic tonight though and doing me a lovely dinner. Take care of each other x

Tot: 0.385s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 39; qc: 38; dbt: 0.1797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb