Super Sunday Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Haymarket
April 10th 2016
Published: April 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Only a three hour hop from Aukland to Sydney and with the very early start and time changes we were in Australia in time for second breakfast.
Cas bought four Opal passes for trains and buses (think Oyster card) and we took the link train into the city. There was an eccentric biker on the train who struck up a conversation and he called Ed a dude because he was travelling the world, had a back pack on, a straw Stetson and a white water rafting t shirt. Ed was slightly embarrassed, but also chuffed at the same time.
Then it was five minute walk from Central station to The Youth Hostel at Railway Square. It's a cool place, the old station turned into accommodation for travellers. The music was on loud and there were chalk drawings and posters all over reception, and of course, there were loads of travellers. We were too early to check in so we went out to explore the city. A walk to Darling Harbour was as much as Hat could take before she needed refuelling. The harbour had loads of restaurants to choose from and Ed and I played a game of chess (he won).
We were all feeling much more energised and Cas had a short list of stuff to buy such as flip flops and a couple of dresses for Hat. Ed bought a new (cooler) surfing sun top for wearing in pools/sea. The city is really great. It has a really energetic feel matched with a calmness. Lots of outdoor entertainers give the streets a carnival feel.
The crowds and cars were quieter than I imagine a weekday would be, however there was much less noise than a major British town. Suddenly, it struck me, the cars were all incredibly quiet and it turns out that the city has been pyshing green car technology.
A bus back to the YHA as we were flagging a bit. I nipped to the local grocers for some supplies to make Ed and Hat their tea of scrambled egg on toast, marshmallows and Ben & Jerrys ice team, well, it was a Sunday after all...





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb