A Tall Ship and a Long Lunch


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Darling Harbour
July 28th 2013
Published: July 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

It’s hard herding cats, but I think trying to organise a travelblogging get together might be harder. By definition, travellers are wanderers, mostly independent free-thinking types, who could be here one minute and anywhere the next. Where will I be in a month, you ask? Well, that depends on what sort of opportunities present themselves between now and then. So a big thank you to Dancing Dave and Laila the Tuarewg for organising a great weekend in Sydney, open to all and any travelbloggers to join in the fun. The “Dancing Duo” really put on a great show, including some spectacularly good weather.

As an aside, the winter weather in Sydney this year has been very kind (with the memorable exception of the ten days of rain), so I chuckled when I read the warning in the newspaper that Sydney was about to experience a cold spell. Try not to laugh, but Sydney was set for a "big chill" with predicted high temperatures of a miserable 17 degrees. Pah! Well I didn’t see my breath turning the icy morning air foggy, or notice anyone scraping ice off their windscreen, so Sydney, you'll have to do better than that. Not that I’m complaining of course, just amused at the definition of ‘cold’. Visitors from Perth however may beg to differ!

So it was a 'wintry' Sydney Saturday – brilliant blue skies, a clear and balmy 18 degrees – perfect sailing conditions you might say, when the Travelblogging Convention headed out on the seas, on a Tall Ship sailing adventure. Denise had arranged it perfectly. The weather was stunning, and to our delight, a skywriting plane welcomed us, writing TB in the sky. (Let’s not quibble about the fact it went on to write something else – for a brief moment it was ours!). The Soren Larsen is a beautiful ship, built in Denmark in the 1940s, and a real treat to sail on. I declined the chance to climb up the mast (what, are you crazy??), but Jo Trouble, all the way from Auckland, clambered up, camera and all, to enjoy an even better view. I stayed safely at the bottom and enjoyed chatting and getting to know Littlewing, who had come from Perth for the occasion. Given that Cindy later went swimming with sharks, the out-of-towners put the locals to shame in the intrepid stakes!

The gorgeous weather continued the next day. We had all been invited for lunch at the home of the Dancing Duo. Joining Littlewing from Perth, Jo Trouble from Auckland, was John & Sylvia from Budgewoi, brand new travelblog.org member, SkiSet , and a special guest appearance from The Travel Camel all the way from Ethiopia, thanks to the modern wonders of Skype.

Conversation was animated and varied to say the least. We covered, amongst other things: the concept of time; democracy in tribal communities; cannibalism; diving spots; sharks; freighter travel; the internet in Ethiopia; earthquakes everywhere; hurricanes at sea; bingo wings; travel accommodation; bird watching; and Dancing Dave’s inability to measure correctly in the boules tournament.

Yes, it wasn't all sitting around eating ourselves silly. We had some sport thrown in by way of a very competitive boules tournament on a course which, while scenic, is designed for those more expert than me. David had obviously been practicing, evidenced by some very impressive left-handed spin throws and fancy hooks, yet despite this, John and Cindy took the title, followed very closely by Jo and Sylvia. Maybe David was equal second? I can’t recall, I was busy wiping sweat off my brow after Jan and I avoided the wooden spoon completely by finally scoring one measly point. Note to self - do not enter any boules tournaments!

What a wonderful day – who doesn’t enjoying being in the company of like-minded travelling souls, with fabulous conversation, delightful company and delicious food? David and Denise are fantastic hosts, so a big thank you to them both for putting out the welcome mat, organising and hosting. It was real treat to meet (be it virtually or otherwise!) bloggers who I have enjoyed following for a while now, a brand new blogger who has recently joined the travelblog community, and of course to catch up with old friends. The moniker of "the world's friendliest travel site" never seemed truer.

All too soon the Sydney Travelblogging Convention was over, but we all left very happy…. dreaming of new travel destinations and more adventures, future meet ups, and like always, wishing we had more time.

What a great weekend! Where's the next one??!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



31st July 2013

TB Sydney
Lovely to catch up with you again Rachael - the weekend went way too quick! And Sydney put on the best stretch of weather I've had in ages. Great photos, and I'm very much looking forward to the next TB reunion :-)
31st July 2013

Reunions
It was great to see you again - I'm looking forward to reading about your Japan trip. And your photos are winning so far!
31st July 2013
Goodnight Sydney

FIRST IN BEST DRESSED
What a blast...well done Rachael...the first blog on the Travelblog 2013 Sydney get-together...wouldn't have been as much fun without you...Here's to you...Here's to next time!
31st July 2013
Goodnight Sydney

FIRST IN BEST DRESSED
What a blast...well done Rachael...the first blog on the Travelblog 2013 Sydney get-together...wouldn't have been as much fun without you...Here's to you...Here's to next time!
31st July 2013
Goodnight Sydney

Thanks to you and Denise for hosting, 10/10!
31st July 2013

Where is the next one?
Indeed that is the question. We are sick that we could not make it. Maybe the next one! Sounds like a fabulous time.
31st July 2013

It was lots of fun!
31st July 2013

What a wonderful time together...
We wish we had been there. I guess we'll have to organize a North American, or western North America reunion sometime soon.
31st July 2013

It wasa really great weekend. So, maybe I'll be reading about the next one soon?
1st August 2013

I'm in love
Beautifully worded account Rachael - made me chuckle & wow those photos!...the colour...I have fallen in love with Sydney all over again...
1st August 2013

Well you did well ordering up such a stunning weekend. I must get some of your tricks!
1st August 2013

Beautiful Sydney
Looks like you guys had a fantastic time! Gutted we missed the boules tournament, hope to make it next time :)
1st August 2013

I could have done with some help in the boules - turns out that neither Jan nor I will win any medals (unless they're the lead ones!).
1st August 2013

Hello from Ethiopia
It was wonderful to be part of the gathering, even if it was not a physical presence. I could feel the lovely vibe in Sydney across the other side of the world.
1st August 2013

It was fantastic that you were able to make an appearance. I'm looking forward to reading more about Ethiopia.
3rd August 2013

Great blog!
Wish we could have been there...and I speak for Leslie and Tiffany too....they would have enjoyed following Jo up there! This time we were just at the antipodes...but with great sun too. Knowing Dave, I'm pretty sure it's not the last TB get-togheter down there! Hope to see you all guys pretty soon...somewhere on earth...or on the seas...or even in the air!
4th August 2013

It would've been great for you to join us, I've been reading your adventures for a while now, I'd love to meet you and your family. You're right, I'm sure there'll be a next time!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 23; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb