Sydney - July 2010


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Darling Harbour
July 11th 2010
Published: June 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The hubby was off to Sydney this time so i figured i'd join him with the Little Man shorly before the Little Miss came along... a bit easier to travel with one child by yourself than two 😊 So we flew over on a Thursday in July hoping to do some tourist stuff and catch up with the inlaws.

We stayed at Goldsborough Oaks Apartments just a few minutes walk from Darling Habour. The location was good and bad...it was a little bit dodgy to be walking around at dark by myself under a trainline and a freeway however it was really less than 5 minutes walk to Darling Harbour and for the price of a 1 bedroom apartment in the inner CBD that was excellent! The apartments themselves was quite interesting as it was an old warehouse that had all the floors removed and then they'd used scaffolding to build walkways along all the floors and the apartments came off them - it looked really good! The main bedroom was on the inside of the building and although we were on the 4th floor, it meant when drunk idgits came in at 1am downstairs every single main bedroom could hear them. It was quite a nice size though and maybe 4 star but i would consider staying here again...certainly no need for a car with the monorail stop between you and darling harbour and the main train station within a stones throw. The exhibition centre and powerhouse museums were within 5 minutes walk as well as the food hall and heaps of restaraunts at Darling Harbour.

So... I was there by myself and the little man so we ventured over the Darling Harbour on Thur night for some dinner and with the soccer world cup about to occur (or games leading to it) the city and habour was crazy! There were demo games happenning on a pontoon in the harbour and huge screens everywhere and a great party atmosphere... i think there might have been a game being televised with australia in it at 1am that night/am.

On Friday i took the little man to the Power house museum as i had heard it was great for kids. Which indeed it was. Possibly more for the likes of 4 and above as i think 2.5 was a little young, but he had a great time and was entertained for hours which is always good. And...we met the mother in law there so she could have some fun times with her only grandson. Friday night the hubby came to join us so we ate out at James Squire Brewery on the Harbour and it was quite a great atmosphere. Unfortunatly due to a funeral a heap of our Perth family also happenned to be in Sydney so we caught up with them for some drinks as well as their family which was great to meet up.

Saturday we walked around Darling Harbour and walked around the convention centre down towards the hugs kids playground area so the Little Man could have some fun. There was heaps to do for kids such as carousels and a miniture train. We also went the Maritime museum which was suprisingly quite good. An amazing amount of history and information and set up in quite a good way so even those who arent really interested in maritime history were interested 😊

On Sunday we ventured down to the harbour to check out the Opera House and we caught the ferry out to Balmain which was fun to go under the Harbour Bridge and out towards the 'burbs'. We met the mil and hubby's brother at La Boheme the German restaraunt and had a huge feast of meat...mmmmm. But an amusing note was it took a $15 cab ride that took less than 10 min to get home, and it was about $30 in ferry tickets and nearly an hour on the ferry....good to know!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb