Xmas & New Year in Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Coogee Beach
January 10th 2010
Published: January 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey guys,

It has been many months since I have wrote here but I thought I would add a quick one following an indulgent 2 weeks in the lovely Sydney.
Our good friend Conor put us up in his new pad close to Coogee Beach. Thanks mate.
We arrived to beautiful blue skies the Thursday before Christmas, immediately hooked up with Ger and hit the beach to try and banish our Irish pastiness as fast as possible. The beach was beautiful, but the sea was freezing. Next stop: Schooners (thats little pints to the rest of you). The schooner stop became a daily event for the remainder of the holiday in fact.
Ger of course arrive in perfect Ger style, having skipped a weeping family in the queue to grab the last seat on the plane. But unfortunately his bags weren't as smart and followed a few days later. Luckily he had his 'everyday pants'
Christmas was lovely, and incredibly civilised. Conor put on a beautiful spread, and everyone got traditionally stuffed, which was lucky as it then ended at a reasonable hour, and we were fitting fit for Free International Day at the Randwick Races. The sun wasn't as well behaved and failed to show on Stephens Day...so the races were a little chilly but great fun. I could feel it in my bones that a big win was coming my way and gambled accordingly...but I think it was just Con's cooking or the previous days vodka because I lost on every race. Ah well...all frocked up we hit some bars to drown our sorrows.
We took a trip to what is lovingly know as 'The Gong' (wollongong) to visit Addo, Naomi and gorgeous little Leilah for a night. We gorged on a mountain of mexican food, had a very funny or should I say rowdy poker game and a delicious BBQ we said our goodbyes and headed back to Sydners a day later. Addo's man shed was the business (it even doubled as a nighclub for Conor, who was found in it, dancing alone, at 5am)
Then it was time for New Years Eve..pretty amazing. Prime viewing location for the fireworks and free VIP tickets to Carl Cox on Bondi Beach! And to celebrate the first day of the new year we had tickets to Field Day, sun, great music with Sydneys CBD as a back drop....the best day/night of the holiday I dare say.
In betweens was meeting some great new friends, lots of drinking, snorkelling, walking, site seeing, eating and generally catchin up and having a laugh. The sun was a bit shy but it was still really warm the whole time we were there. Gift.
It came to time for goodbyes again, never nice, but one way of doing it is the Ger way...no long weepy goodbyes with him...oh know..Thursday afternoon, sitting in his pants, checking online if the snow was affecting Dublin airport, Ger realises his flight leaves in an hour (we live 30 min from the airport). In 5 minutes he is up and pegged it out the door leaving us to clean his appartment. Beautiful. Glad you got home ok mate...it was great to see you. XXXX

Enjoy the pics. XXXX





Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb