Royal National Park


Advertisement
Published: April 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post


The Royal National Park is the second oldest National Park in the world and was the first to have the title National Park. It was founded by Sir John Robertson on 26th April 1879. The park is 18 miles (29k) from Sydney’s CBD (Central Business District) and is 58 sq. miles.
It was originally named National Park and wasn’t until 1955 that it became the Royal National Park when Queen Elizabeth II passed by in the train. In 2006 the park was added to the Australian National Heritage List.
We only spent one night and day in the Park, but it was amazing. We arrived late so just parked in a carpark and spent the night there. The next day we got up early and started our hike. The first part of the hike was lovely, downhill, through a forest, getting closer to the beach – wonderful views.
We arrived at the beach to find we were the only people there. We had a quick swim in the ocean then dried off before carrying on with our hike. We went along the beach then up over the rocks and across the rock pools. Our destination was the famous figure of eight pool.
When we thought we were close we asked a runner who informed us we had gone past it. At first the pool was a little disappointing. It is just a rock pool in a figure of 8 shape. However, once you get over the coldness of the water and enjoy the pool it is spectacular. Naturally shaped, sea water in a figure of 8. The other rock pools were lovely as well, all just as cold but they were a nice place for a good swim.
After a while a few more people started to show up, so we decided to start the walk back to the van. The rocks and the beach were a lovely walk. Then we started to go back up. That was not fun.

When we finally reached the van, we had some lunch and started for our next destination in the Park – Wattamolla Beach.
Once we reached there we went for a walk through the river and down a stream until we reached the end and then we walked along the sand to the ocean and joined another part of the river and back to where we started. Apart from the temperature of the water it was lovely. The water was really clear and the fish were really easy to see. We spent the afternoon on the beach, relaxing, reading and napping.
That night we drove to a carpark on the outside of Sydney and spent the night there.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb