The New South Wales drive


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Port Macquarie
August 20th 2007
Published: August 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hiking at the Grand CanyonHiking at the Grand CanyonHiking at the Grand Canyon

Handrails! Not like our hardcore trek in Chang Mai.
So our journey west to the Blue Mountains was well worth it. We arrived at a campsite in Katoomba and pitched there for the night. The first night in the camper was a fun one, it was good to go 'back to basics' by cooking dinner on gas outside our van at the foot of the mountains. This was done in what felt like freezing conditions only achievable with a big box of red wine to hand.

The next day we decided to take a days walk down and around the 'Grand Canyon' where we could get well in the mix of this national park wonder. The walk took a few hours before we jumped back in our camper and headed for our next stop, a rest area off the Eastern highway. These rest areas offer pretty much no amenities however are free of charge and therefore attractive to the buget backpacker!

In the morning we stopped at seal rocks, an outrock where the seals breed in season. We had a little scramble round the rocks before moving on and driving to the town of Port Macquarie. We treated ourselves to a hot shower by booking in at a
The Real DealThe Real DealThe Real Deal

Roughing it outside our 'Wicked Camper'
campsite here and headed into town. Being a Sunday night the town was pretty dead and we got talking to a local mentalist in order to try to get things going. Heavy rain today meant we decided to head north straight away to try and get some better weather, unfortunatley having arrived in Byron Bay this afternoon, the weather still hasn't cleared up. This is not what we expected!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

MentalistMentalist
Mentalist

A crazy man we met on our very quiet night at Port Macquarie.


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb