This is my View


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nangus
February 1st 2012
Published: February 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

This is my ViewThis is my ViewThis is my View

From my Verandah Chair this is my View,
This is my View



Thanks everyone for your kind messages following our last blog. We will keep you posted as to our progress.



We have had a lovely relaxing time on the farm, we did a lot of reading, relaxing, sleeping and of course sitting on the veranda looking at the fabulous view, drinking copious amounts of tea. Did I mention how hot it has been? No? Well yesterday it was 37.2 on the veranda and last night at 20 past midnight when we went to bed the temperature was reading a cool 27c.



It was intended that we were going to try to leave the office at a sensible time around 4.30, but the best laid plans always fail and we did not pull out of the car park just after 6.00pm with nearly 200 K’s to go to the farm, we arrived at about 8.40 pm, Helen and Robert hadn’t had their evening meal, as they were waiting for us to arrive and when we did, we were soon tucking in to gorgeous rissoles. It was great to be back in to the bosom of the farm, it was a lovely warm night and Helen said there has not been rain for a while.



Thursday was Australia day and it was beautiful, with all due respect Robert would not take a day off for this, he always has so much to do, Sheep don’t look after themselves you know, the rest of us Caroline Helen and myself where just taking it easy and lolled around in the shade.



We regularly popped up to see Kimba’s puppies, now about 5 weeks old, we saw them being born on Boxing Day. The funny thing is that as soon as we head up to her compound and open the gate, she shoots out looking like she cannot wait to get away from “the kids”. She would dutifully come down to the veranda and then look for food, she has quite an appetite at the moment. We had taken a big bag of dog treats and she wouldn’t leave them alone, well I wouldn’t stop giving them to her, as she looked at me, in such a longing way.



One afternoon whilst feeding the puppies, Toby wandered passed, like he was just going down to the post office, we looked at each other in surprise as we were sure that Helen had not been up to let him out of his compound, it seems that he broke free again. Toby’s compound has 2 latches on it, he managed to work out how to break through the first (maybe with brute force) and it looks like he knows how to do the second latch too!



Helen had managed to book a table at Loftus on Humphreys which was lucky, they were not going to be open for Australia day as it is not that busy, but as we asked them really nicely they did.

Though Helens cooking is magnificent, our mentality is this, if we can get her out of the kitchen and Robert off the farm even for a short spell then it is a well deserved. The food at the restaurant was good, Caroline and myself had a steak and salad, whilst Robert and Helen both had the Barramundi, I swear Caroline and myself had half a cow between us.



It was a great relaxed evening and we all had a good time, soon we were sitting in the car going back to Woodstock. When we got back it was pitch black, the night sky was just awesome, something we wish we could share with you all we stood and gazed upwards for a while to soak up the view.



Friday, we needed to go in to Wagga to get a few bits and pieces for a surprise party, it was an absolute scorcher In Wagga, though it was not busy in town, we were there fairly early and soon got all the chores done and were heading back to the farm for some more R&R.



On Friday night, Andy could not resist the temptation to go out and look for wombats, so we booted ourselves up, grabbed the torches and headed off down the side of one the paddocks and onto the edge of the creek. I knew where the wombat holes would be but it would be a little bit trickier in the dark. It was not too difficult but I did notice that some more of the large tree next to the wombat hole had come down. Alas no wombats, the ground had been flattened by
Cool VenueCool VenueCool Venue

Literally, It was a lovely warm evening at Katanga
the rain, there was no sign of wombat activity so we headed back to the homestead, it was great to have a walk though. It was weird walking back up through the paddock in the dark, every now and again you could see the glint of eyes in the darkness, fairly likely to be sheep or even a fox.



Saturday was just beautiful, it was one of those days that was just nice and easy, we got up at around 7.45 and went in to an empty kitchen where Helen had left us a note telling us that she was drafting sheep down in the sheep yard, so we had some breakfast and decided to go and do a pre agreed job down at Merryville that needed doing, which was quite easy and nice to be doing a job for Helen who would definitely appreciate it. The rest of the day was spent reading and just taking it easy, reading, drinking tea, lunch, you know the drill.



Saturday night we headed out to the Wemyss’ place as Josh is turning 21 and his partner Erica and the rest of the family have arranged for a surprise birthday party for him. The large garage had been cleaned out and converted into a party venue, they had hired caterers to do a spit roast and a long table had been placed down the centre. There were about 50 of us to help celebrate with Josh. We had a great evening and left just before midnight (Robert and Helen had work to do in the morning). We took the back way home as it was much shorter, being mindful of the possibility of running in to a Roo or other wildlife on the road.



We got back to Woodstock about 12.20 and it was still really warm, about 27 Degree’s, so we slept on top of the bed all night (as opposed to in it).



Sunday morning arrived all too soon, and we were going to have to depart as we were going back to Canberra today. We had breakfast on the veranda and then wandered down to the yards to see Helen and Robert before we headed off. Of course all of the dogs were down there to welcome us, we made a big fuss, said all our goodbyes and
TrixieTrixieTrixie

This working dog, is making the most of her master having his lunch, When Robert Stops, the dogs stop
hit the road again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

37.2 Degree's37.2 Degree's
37.2 Degree's

The Temperature was 37.2 on the Verandah when this was taken,I thought we were going to need a Thermal Camera
Left to RightLeft to Right
Left to Right

Daniel and Lorrenna Andrew and Jo Josh and Erica The Wemyss's


1st February 2012

Gutted for you
Happy Christmas & New Year! What a bum on the citizenship. Fingers crossed for the appeal. T &W xx

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb