Chasing Butterflies


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nangus
December 15th 2009
Published: December 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

DAY 403

What started out as a quiet day actually ended up quite busy, Helen had gone off to school this morning, and we were sitting quietly in the kitchen deciding how we were going to tackle the day when Jason and Robert poked their heads into the kitchen and asked us if we would not mind driving in to Wagga to gets some bits made at an engineering company.

We took the pattern of a rod joiner for the want of a better word, it had to be made to fit the threads we had as a sample, and the sockets were needed to be twice the length of the thread and a little heavier in gauge.

Jason asked if we had Sat Nav, Andy said we did, it was just a human form, and pointed to me, Andy always says that I got us across British Columbia and Alberta without a single problem and now I have done the same in Australia.

We leave at exactly 09.10 and have to drive 60k’s in to Wagga arriving at Rorrisons Engineering at 10.00am.

We parked the truck and strode in, immediately we got into conversation with
Path to School....Path to School....Path to School....

thankfully one that I dont have to take every day!
Norman, we announced that Robert Sheridan of Woodstock farm had phoned and you knew all about it, he new nothing about it!! But soon got the gist of what we were on about, he told us they would be made as required and would be ready for collection after lunch tomorrow, (Wednesday).

Whilst in Wagga we had a couple of other things to do, pick up some anti slip mat for Helens draws, no, the ones in the kitchen silly and Jason had also asked us to collect his Computer that had been in for some repair work.

We had previously agreed to meet Helen at the Nangus Public School today for a little look around, but due to our excursion to town thought we may not make it. We had phoned to explain we may not get to see her as we were on route to Wagga and she said that was not a problem as the police were turning up to show the kids the police cars and all things associated with the force with a little bit of “don’t talk to strangers” chat thrown in.

We managed to get back to Nangus by about
GnomeGnomeGnome

Gifted to the school by the leavers each year.
mid day and decided we had time to visit the school, so instead of turning left for Woodstock, we turned right to Nangus.

We pulled in to the school grounds, parked the truck and walked up to the main reception, a couple of the children in the classroom had seen us and beckoned us in, and sitting just inside the door in her office was Helen busily working away.

Helen gave us the grand tour of this fantastic little school and the facilities they have, we saw the music/craft room, the library and the out door area where the new climbing equipment had been sited with its even newer shade cloth.

We walked through a classroom and the kids were all sitting on the floor watching a DVD of Ice Age 3, Helen introduced us as Mr and Mrs Trenfield from England, we both looked at each other not realising that this introduction was us, this is the first time in Australia that we have been introduced as Mr and Mrs Trenfield, it felt very weird.

All the kids said hi, and we asked them if they were all ready for Christmas, we recognised them all
Woman at WorkWoman at WorkWoman at Work

Helen keeping busy..
from their Christmas presentation night that we went to on Friday at the school, Kalem said he was looking forward to it with only 10 Days and 9 sleeps to go, we explained to them that we had travelled around Australia and write every day about what we do they allowed Caroline to take a photo for the blog.

It was great to see them so excited, strange really we associate Christmas with being cold, or even snowing, but outside the school the temperature was probably 34 degree’s today, it feels so far away from being Christmas.

After our grand tour we thank Helen and Charmaine for our tour and headed back to Woodstock, to carry on with some back log of chores, I had promised that I would fix the light in the kitchen which I did then started the last couple of shelves in the pantry. While Caroline was online ordering a new supply of contact lens, she happily tells me that it is much cheaper to order them online and pays almost half the price that she did when she got them in Perth.

When Helen got home at just after 3.30 I was
Enjoying the film...Enjoying the film...Enjoying the film...

Well they were until we interrupted them!!
knee deep in jars and stuff and Helen tired from her day started straight away in helping me, and a couple of hours later the Pantry was a finished project that was ticked of the list. Caroline did a few other chores for Helen and later on went to feed the dogs, I think she was keen on seeing how Trixie was and if her wound was healing up.

I went to feed the dogs and Tiny asked me if she could come out to play, I said I would have to check with Helen, I did and Helen agreed we both thought that it may help Tiny settle down at night and sleep instead of bark. So I let Tiny and Kimba, who share a yard, out to run around the paddock, Tiny bolted out of the yard like a greyhound after the hare!

In my bid to tire her out, not to mention I think she is looking a little bit tubby custard, I decide to play ball with her in the garden, I threw the ball and she looked at me and then looked at the ball, looked at me, looked at the ball and
Suite of ComputersSuite of ComputersSuite of Computers

All mod cons at this school!
then she ran in completely the opposite direction.

I went to get the ball and tried in vain to explain to Tiny how to play fetch, but to no avail she does not get the concept, so I gave up only minutes later finding her in the fishpond trying to catch the fish!

A few minutes later she is running around the lawn, chasing I don’t know what, maybe butterflies? Oh well, I cannot get her to run after something easy and tangible but at least she is getting some exercise and hopefully tiring herself out before bedtime!

Helen is enjoying Wii Fit, Andy reads, Robert watches the news and I am typing up the blog. I can hear that familiar rhythm from the Wii Fit drifting in, it does tend to get to you a bit, in other words one of those awful catchy tunes!

A program has just come up on TV about an Australian community (on the Murray Darling basin) who amongst many other communities are trying to survive the drought, classified as the worst in Australia’s history, the family stories that we are watching are heart breaking, one farmer (probably one of
Play friendPlay friendPlay friend

Andy found someone to play with!
many) actually took his own life as he could not cope with it any more.

We move on to Grumpy Old Men, quite a good program, but lets not talk about grumpy old men, there are far too many around here!!! Andy feels it validates his grumpiness, but I think that grumpiness does not need validating, however it is just refreshing to know that what we all grumble about (not just the men) we all have the same issues to grumble about!

A quote from Rick Wakeman tickled us both “I know we need tourists, but why don’t they just send money and not come?” Maybe that would be an ideal world, but I still like the idea of being a tourist.

Robert went to bed, followed closely by Helen, I was watching a film and then Andy decided to go to bed and I thought, I don’t really want to sit here on my own so I soon followed.

So my trick worked, Tiny did not bark, but the others did, in particular Trixie, oh dear perhaps it may not be a quiet night after all.

Until tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

GuitarsGuitars
Guitars

enough guitars for everyone to play.
MarimbaMarimba
Marimba

This musical instrument is bigger than some of the kids!


17th December 2009

Rick Wakeman
Hello there, Just to quick one to say we went to see Rick Wakeman in Norfolk last week playing piano and half standup and he was bloody brilliant! Hope you have a lovely christmas at the farm.
23rd March 2010

I Remember this school!!!!!
heyyy i used to go to Bongongo Public school and remember we used to go on camps with you guys . have fun

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb