Traralgon and Merimbula October 2018


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Merimbula
October 29th 2018
Published: October 29th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 (12/10/2018)

Went to the weighbridge & weighed the caravan on the way to Traralgon. Came in at 2660kgs, so well under the limit. Ball weight a bit heavy at 240kgs, but we will learn to load it a bit differently & adjust what we carry.

Arrived at Traralgon just on 12 Noon & set up. Rest of the day spent at the Lions convention

Day 2 (13/10/2018)

Spent all day at the Lions convention.

Day 3 (14/10/2018)

Departed Traralgon at 8.00AM. Stopped for a late lunch at Cann River, before arriving at Merimbula at 2.45PM. Set up the caravan & during the evening had electrical issues. Found 10A fuses in place when they should be 20A. Not impressed. Went about looking for all other issues with the caravan & making notes for everything to be fixed when we get back.





Day 1 (12/10/2018)









Went to the weighbridge & weighed the caravan on the way to Traralgon. Came in at 2660kgs, so well under the limit. Ball weight a bit heavy at 240kgs, but we will learn to load it a bit differently & adjust what we carry.





Arrived at Traralgon just on 12 Noon & set up. Rest of the day spent at the Lions convention





Day 2 (13/10/2018)





Spent all day at the Lions convention.





Day 4 (15/10/2018)





Went to Bega to do some cheese tasting at the Bega Heritage Centre. As always, these cheeses fail to disappoint! Made some purchases, then went & bought some 20A fuses for the caravan. Filled up with diesel at the criminal price of $1.68.9/L & returned to Merimbula.





Had the cheap lunch special at the Merimbula RSL before heading back to the caravan to find our awning had blown out of the tracks from a freak gust of wind. Fellow caravanners had fixed it for us & tied it down. Horrific start to the trip!





Day 5 (16/10/2018)





Short drive up the coast to Tathra. Stopped at the historic wharf where it was blowing a gale. Whales are frequently sighted here, but not today. Returned to Merimbula & bought some fresh oysters from Wheelers in Pambula. Cooked them in the oven with bacon pieces & Worcestershire sauce. YUM!!!





Went in the heated pool & spa, then later in the afternoon cooked a roast leg of lamb for dinner, along with potatoes, carrots & sweet potato. More YUM!!!





Day 6 (17/10/2018)





Free pancakes at the caravan park mid morning; always a large gathering! Later it was off to lunch at the Pambula Merimbula Golf Club. Nice food but the service not so great (see Trip Advisor review).





For dinner cooked mini honey & lemon chicken breasts. Just something light for a lovely evening meal.





Day 7 (18/10/2018)





Got up early to make a day out, heading for Bermagui. Saw Narooma was not that much further, so decided to go there first. Immediately found Narooma as a future place to stay with great facilities all within walking distance & it's picturesque beauty.





After doing all our reconnaissance work, we came back via the main highway to take the 1km diversion to a gorgeous little town called Tilba. With a heritage street of shops, including the ABC Cheese Factory full of more delightful cheeses (yes, we bought more!), a chocolate shop with lots of delicious offerings, a pub & numerous other shops.





Back onto the main highway & onto the Lake Wallaga to Bermagui Road to go to Camel Rock Brewery. But disaster; they had run out of beer. Not happy Jan!!! Drove a bit further to Bermagui where we had lunch at the fish & chip shop on the main wharf overlooking the wonderful harbour. A piece of Dory, potato rostis, fresh succulent prawns & some chips went down an absolute treat. All that was missing was a nice cold drink!





Drove back to Merimbula via Tathra & Tura Beach. I have to say that the days drive was one of the most loveliest I have experienced. Hopped back into the pool & spa to soothe the tired bones, enjoying a decent swim & sunbake indoors in the diffused sun.





Tonights dinner is honey soy chicken sticks with French fries & veggies.





Day 8 (19/10/2018)





Had bacon & eggs for breakfast to start the day. Walked just up the road into the town & checked out the shops, jagging a few bargains! Went to the RSL for another cheap $12 lunch, followed by the Information Centre for some brochures to plant the 2020 return from Cape York trip which will now include Narooma.





An evening BBQ put on by the caravan park raises money for local charity. Met many people from Gippsland & had an enjoyable evening.





Day 9 (20/10/2018)





Went for another short drive to Bega to do a bit of shopping nabbing a few more bargains. Returned to Merimbula to fill up with diesel at $1.63.3/L.





Had home made baked potatoes for lunch with bacon, sour cream, cheese & mushrooms. Not long after came the huge thunder & lightning, followed by pouring rain. At least the caravan did not leak!!!





Yet again, went for a swim while the storm raged around. Then back for a good nights sleep for our final night.





Day 10 (21/10/2018)





Left Merimbula at 9.20AM. Arrived in Lakes Entrance for lunch at the RSL at 1.10PM. Filled up with diesel at Bairnsdale before stopping about an hour from home to have a drink & relax. Arrived home at 6.20PM.





Fuel economy was not too bad for the trip.





Traralgon to Merimbula was 14.94L per 100km





Merimbula to Bairnsdale was 16.89L per 100km, owing to the hills starting out. Still came in under expectations so pleased with the economy.





Next trip is Adelaide, across the Nullarbor to Exmouth, down the coast to Perth, along the SW coast & back across the Nullarbor to the west coast of SA, followed by the Silo Trail & finally Geelong for another Lions Convention in March/April/May 2019!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb