STEAMPUNK...The Kingdom of Ironfest


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Lithgow
May 27th 2017
Published: May 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

STEAMPUNK...The Kingdom of Ironfest. I think I'm having an identity crisis. I have always regarded myself as Aussie through and through...at least eight generations. But recently I realised I am one quarter Canadian. Not hard to work out as my paternal grandmother was from Newfoundland...never done the maths until now...explains why I like maple syrup. Went to the St Ives Medieval Faire last ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 126, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

















Steven Siewert Steven Siewert
Steven Siewert

Sydney Morning Herald Photographer





27th May 2017

"I suck at belly dancing!"
Even reading that sentence caused me to cringe...so what did you go as? Or is that next year...as a Viking.
27th May 2017

"I suck at belly dancing!"
Hope the blog might inspire you to bring Ironfest to Colorado, Bob. Who knows what outfits we could get into!!!
27th May 2017

Steam Punk Dave?
So this is what you get up to when I'm away at the ballet! Loved your story writing, almost surpassed the spectacular photos, the whole thing made me smile as you would have been totally at home with these people :)
27th May 2017

Steam Punk Dave?
My secrets out Denise...not only what I do when the cat's away but what I would like to do when the mice come out to play!
28th May 2017

Haha, right at home eh?
Sounds like a blast, what a great group of people. A nice relxaed and non judgemental atmosphere I imagine. :)
28th May 2017

Haha, right at home eh?
You'd love it Per-Olof. Have you got anything like it in Sweden?
28th May 2017

Canadian connection!
I always suspected and now I know why you love our Maple syrup. Ironically, it was indeed Newfoundland where I also started my colourful journey in Canada. A good collection of stories engaging the historical re-enactors, Dave! Dudes are cool alright!
28th May 2017

Canadian connection!
Legend has it that my great grandfather was the Mayor and also the Magistrate of Bay Bulls, was charged with smuggling Wellington boots, presided over his own trial and was not convicted! His daughter my grandmother was the first woman to graduate in medicine in Newfoundland. My father presented her photograph which at one time was displayed in the foyer of the hospital but is now held at the university. Our son lives in Toronto. My great grandfather's name of Hamilton (my third name) has been carried through four generations now.
28th May 2017

Lovely portraits!
As usual, fascinating portraits. I wonder how people, 300 years from now, would portray our current society... in a event like this sometime in the distant future!! What is fascinating about our times that will evoke nostalgia in those people. What'll they be re-enacting in an event like this!
28th May 2017

Lovely portraits!
Interesting observations Hem. Portrait paradise. Historical re-enactors preserve memories of significant events and the dress of the time in parades like your 4th of July but at Ironfest there are folk who preserve the memories by re-living those times. Without these festivals I fear the customs and fashion of trends through history may well be lost. I noticed that of the British in the Napoleonic battles some wore red and others green. Thanks to the re-enactors I was able to find out why. Will there be folk who want to portray our modern society in 300 years that evokes nostalgia? I hope so!
30th May 2017

Portrait Paradise
That would have been so much fun! I can just imagine you there in Portrait Paradise with all those interesting characters.
30th May 2017

Portrait Paradise
The portraits speak for themselves Jo. Great time or what!!!
30th May 2017

I knew it!
I knew you were a little bit Canadian, eh.
31st May 2017

I knew it!
And I've only admitted my paternal side Andrea! By the way I'm wearing a Canadian ice hockey jacket as I write this...who said I didn't look good in red!!!
24th March 2018

Great Minds...
Hi Dave, Just been reading some of your old blogs and stumbled across this one. I too, was a member of Clique, and have been to Ironfest a few times, although I skipped last year for a long weekend in the Yarra Valley instead. Are you thinking of heading up to Lithgow again this year?
25th March 2018

Great Minds...
Thanks for the reminder David. I've asked the boss and she says I'm free to go that weekend without her as it's more my thing. I'll email you privately as two gunslingers are better than one. Clique maybe dead but...

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 24; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb