18 October 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Khancoban
October 18th 2012
Published: October 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

As cold as cold could be this morning but so crisp and fresh in alpine country that you can just forget about the temperature and appreciate the surroundings. The fast flowing river in front of us was as clear as a bell and the flow seems to be increasing in intensity as the snow from the mountains above continues to thaw.

By mid-morning we were at the Thredbo Ski Resort and even though the skiing season is finished the chair lifts up towards Mount Kosciuszko were still in operation so we were in luck. The lower parts of the mountains are now in spring mode but the upper peaks still have a decent covering of snow. The chair lift was smoother than I thought and before long we were off walking towards Kosciuszko.

The scenery on the walk to the lookout about two kms away was breathtaking and the higher we went the crisper the air and the better the views. When we made it to the lookout up towards Australia's highest peak there were plenty of stunning photo opportunities. While I could not take full advantage of my first time in the snow the trek to where we stopped was well worth while.

In the afternoon we headed up and down along Alpine Way and even though the journey was only 80 kms to Khancoban the driving time was up toward two hours. The drive up through some of the highest points in the country was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and we enjoyed it every inch of the way.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb