Day 3 -4 in OZ


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Katoomba
August 27th 2008
Published: August 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

OZ Day 3-4
Left Sydney. Not a moment too soon for us. Too many people, too much traffic, to many narrow roads.
Had a nice drive to Katoomba. Found a pretty good campground right next door to Scenic World. Scenic World is home to Katoomba falls, a ‘railway’, a tramway and a Skyway. We ventured onto the railway to go down into the valley and the tramway to get back up again. The railway is ‘interesting’ as it has a 52 degree grade. Great adrenalin rush. Lots of walking in the valley and a lot of history. Very, very enjoyable. Something visitors should take in. Apparently there was and still is some coal mining in the area.
Also here are the Three Sisters. Rock formations that the story goes that the chief turned his 3 daughters into stone to keep them from invaders. Unfortunately the chief was killed before he could turn them back into his daughters
Linda has said it is cool.
Well I go for COLD. A bit of frost on the campervan this morning. Will need to put the extra sleeping bag on tonight. Expect warmer weather when we go North.

Today we were planning to go to the Jenolan Caves. Some pretty fantastic caves. But Linda found the ZigZag railway only 40km from here so off we go. Trying very hard to keep to the left!! Absolutely a fantastic trip. Beyond imagination. We got to ride in the cab of the locomotive on the trip down the mountain. Knowing a few railroader terms sure didn’t hurt!. Great commentary from the engineer, John, and the Fireman, Roger. Thanks guys.
It is called the ZigZag railroad for a very good reason. The number of hairpin turns it makes is tremendous. Instead of going around like you would in a car, they move the engine from one end to the other, switch tracks and away we go. Must have done that 2-3 times.

Tomorrow its on towards Broken Hill, via Dubbo or wherever we find a campground

www.scenicworld.com.au
www.zigzagrailway.com.au



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



27th August 2008

CAN I COME?
The trip sounds wonderful so far. I really enjoy the pictures. Just a note............my Granddaughter will be coming Friday or Saturday. They are enducing Connie Friday morning at 8:30am. I will be taking the afternoon off to greet "KATIE". It would sure be a hoot if the doctors got it wrong and Katie become MAT or something with a boy name. Looking forward to it. Enjoy....will keep you informed of the progress.
27th August 2008

Jenolan Caves
I have been to the Jenolan Caves and would recommend stopping there if you get the chance. Also... it may be early in the season, but the roadside stands with cherries are amazing! (I was there last Nov/Dec. so I bet they aren't ripe yet.) It sounds like you are having a good trip. I hope you stopped by Sydney Harbor (Harbour) to see the opera house. You can add me to the blog update.
29th August 2008

great blog so far!
Hi, thanks for advising of your blog, I've really enoyed it. It'll be fun to follow you around. Have a great time! snodge
1st September 2008

Hi Snodge
Thanks for all your help and advice on Trip Advisor. I have tried to use as much help from there as I can.
8th September 2008

Miss you..
Looks like you are having a blast.. love all the up dates and the pictures.. Can't wait for more.. Miss you.. ttyl

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb