Around and About


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Griffith
February 25th 2013
Published: February 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


One of the little joys in life is to take a drive to neighbouring towns, pack a picnic, explore the area on foot and maybe find a great vineyard. This day was a success. All the boxes were ticked.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

First Stop - WhittonFirst Stop - Whitton
First Stop - Whitton

In 1850's the stockman travelling between QLD and VIC had to camp somewhere to wait for flood waters to subside and this place was their camp. 1881 the rail reached Whitton and it was declared a town in 1885.
Whitton Main StreetWhitton Main Street
Whitton Main Street

Of course, all towns have the old pub. This is "The Rice Bowl Pub" due to so many rice paddies in the area.
Cuppa in the ParkCuppa in the Park
Cuppa in the Park

This park is across the road from the pub. Although it's dry they take pride in their parks. Water tanks and grain silos in the background.
Whitton Railway StationWhitton Railway Station
Whitton Railway Station

1881 timber railway station, closed in 1974, now preserved. Trains transported mainly wool and grain.
Whips and WhimsWhips and Whims
Whips and Whims

Whips were "windlasses" or winches that pulled buckets of water to the surface. Whims were wooden structures moved by a horse walking in a circular track.
Presbyterian ChurchPresbyterian Church
Presbyterian Church

1895 Presbyterian Church became Uniting in 1984. Huge stained glass window depicts the burning bush.
Former BankFormer Bank
Former Bank

1890 was the Australian Join Stock Bank and is now a residence.
Cotton FieldsCotton Fields
Cotton Fields

Rice and cotton fields cover the area. These fields are flooded with water from the irrigation canals.
Bright and BeautifulBright and Beautiful
Bright and Beautiful

Love Love Love
Facing the SunFacing the Sun
Facing the Sun

Hope you appreciate these, we had to go down a dirt track, then I climbed up on the back tray of the car to get these shots. Should have got Dave to get a pic of me there.
Lunch at LeetonLunch at Leeton
Lunch at Leeton

The town is full of Art Deco architecture and I must say it does suit the place. I particularly liked the Roxy Theatre from 1927 and is still in operation, once a week and seats 750 people.
Burley Griffin Water TowersBurley Griffin Water Towers
Burley Griffin Water Towers

I said Art Deco, even these water towers.
Art Deco FountainArt Deco Fountain
Art Deco Fountain

Even the tiles and such. The town was very neat and tidy and well maintained though.
Lilly Pilly VineyardLilly Pilly Vineyard
Lilly Pilly Vineyard

Happy Hour, time for a tasting and I must say we bought a mixed dozen. Fabulous!
GriffithGriffith
Griffith

In 1817, John Oxley said this was "uninhabitable and useless to civilized man" Look at it now a thriving food bowl due to irrigation.
Hermit's CaveHermit's Cave
Hermit's Cave

Below were the last pic was taken is a walk to the Hermit's dwelling. Valeri Ricetti, an Italian migrant hand built over a kilometre of shelters, gardens, steps and water cisterns along the escarpment.
ShelterShelter
Shelter

He lived here between 1920 to 1952. Actually quite nice with great views.
KitchenKitchen
Kitchen

In his day he grew fruit, vegetables and flowers and carried water from a livestock dam up the hill.
The ChapelThe Chapel
The Chapel

This resembles the Roman Catholic Grottos from Europe with its high domed ceiling. Ricetti called this place his sacred hill.
Back in the DayBack in the Day
Back in the Day

Here's Ricetti while he was living there. His lifestyle was considered suspicious, so he was held as a prisoner of war during 1942 and 43.


Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb