East Coast South to North


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Griffith
July 5th 2011
Published: July 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 Tuesday 5th July 2011 Wymah to Griffith


Today started with a bit of drama – we followed Tony down to the old Hume Highway and just after we’d turned onto it we came upon a farm car (unregistered paddock basher) in a grassy ditch by the roadside. We never really found out how the young cousins driving it had got it there, but they were unhurt and the car undamaged, so one of the 4WDs gave them a tow out and told them to get back to the farm pronto! We went on to Culcairn for morning tea, where there is an amazing old hotel. The story goes that in order to get a liquor licence in what was once a “dry” area, the prospective publican had to provide many bedrooms (?20+) and dining facilities. The powers-that-be of the time thought this would be enough to dissuade the licence applicant, but he went ahead and provided the required items, and got his licence! The hotel still has the original accommodation, and apparently is still quite grand. We continued from Culcairn via the “verandah town” of Lockhart. The heritage-listed main street was beautifully presented, and there were also some intriguing sculptures in the town made of recycled materials. Lunch at Narrandera, a pleasant town, where there was a Tiger Moth on display which unfortunately we could only look at through a window (the place was shut). Dinner at Griffith was a BBQ at the home of Keith and Pearl, the owners of the Van Park where we stayed. It was a great evening, and we got to see Keith’s fabulous Corvettes and Pearl’s truly amazing collections of sewing machines (all kinds and ages) and handbags. They really turned on a good night for us.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lockhart SculptureLockhart Sculpture
Lockhart Sculpture

The Rain Dragon
Pearl and KeithPearl and Keith
Pearl and Keith

Thanks for a great evening!


Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.16s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb