Giant Sand Dunes


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Forster
November 21st 2008
Published: December 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We have decided to spend one more night here, and plan a visit to the nearby town of Anna Bay. It is about a half hour drive and the beach is easy to find.

The beach is stunning with fine sand and huge surf. Four wheel drive vehicles drive along the beach from time to time and a few brave souls are trying to surf. As we wade into the waves, the water temperature isn't what you would call warm, but it is not as cold as I expected either. Perhaps further up the coast we may be swimming.

The real attraction here are the huge sand dunes that stretch 35 km from Anna Bay down the coast. After a taste of the beach, we head up to the dunes. The scene is like something from a desert with miles of massive hills of sand, completely without vegetation, disappearing into the distance. Apparently parts of the movie Mad Max were filmed here. We are also close to an air force training area and a supersonic fighter jet does a fly over as we head up the dunes.

Benjamin, who has been complaining about this side trip, is soon rolling down the sand hills with Joshua. Later they bury themselves in sand and try a version of tobogganing down the slopes on their stomachs.

We stop at the supermarket to buy lunch and dinner, but resist the urge to buy Kangaroo fillets which lie next to the steaks. After returning to the holiday park, we spend a few hours on school work before Joshua and I go to check out the pool which creatively landscaped to look something like it is part of the natural environment. Our plan for tomorrow is to pack up and visit the Koala centre before heading North up the coast to the town of South West Beach. At this point we are not sure how far North we will make it or if we will be able to visit the Australian couple that we met in New Zealand on their farm in Texas, Queensland, but Australia seems impressive so far.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0876s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb