Day 181 - Canberra to Deniliquin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Deniliquin
September 24th 2015
Published: October 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

"TransmUte" - The Deni Ute Muster "TransmUte" - The Deni Ute Muster "TransmUte" - The Deni Ute Muster

TransmUte is an art event to celebrate the Ute and the annual Deni Ute Muster.
We were looking for somewhere warmer to stay for a few days and so we initially headed north from Canberra to the Hume Highway and then cut across country. Along the way we stopped to say hello to the dog from Gundagai and then drove through Wagga. From here we went "bush", driving on back roads to Lockhart and Urana before coming back to the Newell Highway at Jerilderie.

Jerilderie was the town that Ned Kelly and his gang held up in 1879. They were out of their territory by a long way, having spent most of their time in Victoria. I like to think they came here for a holiday, but Ned and the boys took over 2,000 pounds from the bank and Ned attempted to have the "Jerilderie Letter", a 7,500 word essay of how he was wronged, published by the local newspaper. Jerilderie still has many sites that are of the Kelly era.

Conargo was on the way out of Jerilderie - it's a very sad locality, having lost the one and only Conargo Pub to fire late in 2014. Not sure how the locals are coping, but the pub is yet to be demolished. Hopefully,
Our campsiteOur campsiteOur campsite

On the Edward River at Deniliquin
there may be a chance to rebuild. Travelling through Conargo allowed us to get off the Newell, a highway notorious for trucks and accidents. The truckies must also see it that way because there were plenty of trucks on the Conargo road.

We pulled in to Deniliquin late in the afternoon. It's affectionaly known as Deni to the locals. We had arrived just before the Annual Deni Ute Muster. I think the event started as a fundraiser (a record attempt to collect the most utes in one location) but it's grown to be a weekend festival (with Jimmy Barnes highlighting for this year). A ute is a very useful vehicle for many people. I had one in my earlier days.

We walked around Deni, took a few photos and then drove just a short distance to our campsite on the Edward River which runs right through the middle of Deni. A lovely spot with a small houseboat moored on the opposite bank.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Georgi at GundagaiGeorgi at Gundagai
Georgi at Gundagai

Georgi meets the dog on the tuckerbox


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb