Warrumbungle region - let down by the weather


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Coonabarabran
April 20th 2015
Published: April 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

BinnawayBinnawayBinnaway

Great campsite. Note the dark clouds on the horizon.



Saturday 18th April 2015



We drove through Wellington, stopping only at the showgrounds to replenish our water supply and from the little we saw of Dubbo we had little wish to stay there.

Our aimed for destination was the little town of Binnaway, Judy having seen this recommended on the Facebook , Free & low-cost Camps Australia group. What a find, clean ablutions, grassy setting by the side of an overgrown river, and power on a user-pays basis.

We joined four other vans before walking around the town. It was very quiet, and except for a small group of teenagers assembled in the main street - it seemed deserted.

In the past Binnaway was a thriving service town for the farming community. In the 1920s it was the railway centre for the area, connecting the town and it’s produce to the eastern seaports. Now it is less important, many businesses have closed and life is much more relaxed.

We returned to the van and at 1600 we were invited to join the other campers in the picnic area for the daily sunset drink session. Here we heard of some of the sights around this area (not many) as well as being invited to join the group for lunch at the local golf club tomorrow, for their $10 roast.



Sunday 19th April 2015



Well and truly a “day of rest” as we had a slow start to the morning and just did odd jobs around the van.

At midday we joined four other couples at the golf club where we enjoyed a tasty lamb roast before returning to the van. Judy hasn’t been feeling 100%!a(MISSING)nd she rested whilst Rags caught up with his typing and uploading of the photos we've taken over the last few days.

Everyone in the camp area must have felt like we were as it wasn't until nearly 1630 before we had all got together for afternoon drinks. Even so, this didn’t last too long as the wind was cool and everyone was happy to return to their warm vans.

A tasty soup made in our trusty Thermomix, ended our day. We remained in the van until bedtime as the temperatures had dropped.



Monday 20th April 2015



Today we drove
Siding Spring ObservatorySiding Spring ObservatorySiding Spring Observatory

A misty rain made a surreal picture.
the 70kms or so to the main town in the Warrumbungle region, Coonabarabran. The Information Centre there was well set up and the man behind the counter extremely helpful. There was a geological display attached to the centre, the main display being the bones of a Diprotodon, these found in the area in 1979 at Tambar Springs. The sandstone hills in this area abound with fossils and various crystals.

Palaeontology is not the only science the area is known for, there is also the Siding Spring Observatory, Australia’s largest optical telescope. We drove into the Warrumbungle National Park, making our way up the long winding road, through increasingly thick mist, which we found was settling at the peak. By the time we reached the telescope the rain was lightly falling and a thick mist had set in. The views were therefore non-existent, disappointing us both.

The inside of the observatory was interesting and photos around the viewing platform explained what it was and how the lack of reflected city lights helped choose the position.

The observatory was also the centre of the World’s Largest Virtual Solar System Drive. The 3D planet models were scaled down 38 million
World’s Largest Virtual Solar System DriveWorld’s Largest Virtual Solar System DriveWorld’s Largest Virtual Solar System Drive

There were models of the planets in the district all scaled down 38 million times.
times as were the distances between each model. These models were placed in all directions from the observatory so that the whole district would be driven through if all planets were to be seen.

Lunch was at Whitegum Lookout, the only viewing position open in the park for the next two days, the others closed for the annual helicopter vermin shoot to eradicate feral goats and pigs. The woman we met later told us this was a joke because the goats all ran outside the park while the helicopters were circling. She told us that they had managed to shoot some of the white goats meaning that most were now a brownish colour. We could get a reasonable view of the range from the lookout, but on a clear day it would have been stunning.

We drove through the park in an anti-clockwise direction and after leaving the national park we stopped at an emu farm. Here we saw many emus in the paddocks and in the garage/shop a lady told us how they tried to use all of the bird, wasting as little as possible. We left with a bottle of emu oil, which allegedly was good
Emu FarmEmu FarmEmu Farm

A curious resident.
for the skin and eased muscle pain, as well as a packet of emu sausages.

Back at the camp we found that more caravans had arrived and the camp was now full. Unfortunately we didn't get to meet anyone as the wind had set in and it was very cold, so no-one appeared for the evening drinks. The weather forecast for Sydney and the coast for tomorrow was not good, with gale force winds expected with very heavy rain. We tied everything down in expectation, hoping that the worst wouldn't reach us. At about 2200 the wind started to howl and the rain came down so heavily we thought it was hail. This went on for about an hour before it eased and for the rest of the night we just had a steady rain on our roof. It proved the van was waterproof in no uncertain way!



Tuesday 21st April 2015



We checked as many weather forecasts as we could but couldn’t find an excuse to continue on! Instead we spent the day at our campsite, Judy doing some moderation in preparation for her next lot of marking and Rags doing a few repair jobs outside. Later we reorganised a few of the caravan cupboards in the kitchen.

All in all, a very relaxing day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Whitegum LookoutWhitegum Lookout
Whitegum Lookout

Overlooking the park.
Emu FarmEmu Farm
Emu Farm

No part of the bird is wasted.


27th April 2015

Rain
What a shame the rain spoilt what looked like some stunning views. But I dare say it could have been a lot worse.!! It gave you a chance to have a good rest though and do the jobs you have been putting off. I hope you are feeling much better now, Judy Summer is going slowly in Perth. It is forecast to reach 28c degs tomorrow, and i have to do some shopping !! Anything over 25c is to hot for me !!!. Nights are cool though and I am now off to bed to get warm. Take care,Love Mum xx

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb