A picnic and a prawn


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Coffs Harbour
January 24th 2009
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -30.2823, 153.129

After leaving Byron Bay, we needed to find a picnic spot and found one on grass by a creek, where we had a splendid lunch with no one around. The benefits of the camper van were quite clear as a quiet after lunch snooze was easy to do.
On the Pacific Highway we spotted the Big Prawn and at Coff's Harbour we were treated to the Big Banana, which was the first of the big things and started the craze in 1964. A whole theme park has been built around the Big Banana-ok for teeny weenies but not for us. However we had to stop for the mandatory photo.
We checked in at the Novotel, which is a sprawling place with rooms which dont follow a logical numbering sequence. The grounds are lovely with 9 hole golf course and a lagoon and pool but the place looks definitely 60's and needs a refurb. However it was good value with breakfast included so we couldnt complain. The kids also managed to park the Love shack under trees out of site in the carpark.
It is a taxi ride down to Coff's harbour where we had an excellent Indian meal on the Jetty, which we found out later is not on the waterfront! There is a large Sikh community aroung here so an Indian meal is a good option.
The place is not really pretty being a working fishing harbour rather than for pleasure boats. There are markets at the weekend but they didnt have anything we really wanted to buy, being mainly food and plants and kids stuff so we headed further south.
On the way we stopped at the Raleigh winery for a tasting and a stock up of some very nice red white and rose wine. It is out of the way and is not signposted until you have come off the highway following signs for Raleigh. The wine is not expensive either, which made a change.
Our next stop was at Nambucca Heads for coffee and mince pies from the van, while sitting on grass overlooking the sea and beach.There are lookouts over the ocean , which again were not signposted so it is a matter of heading upwards and seawards to find them. There is also a peculiar Y Wall on which couples have painted their names and odd pictures on the large stones forming a sea wall leading from a save bathing beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.372s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb