Changing time zones and city to hippy


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
December 1st 2014
Published: December 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Last day in Brisbane was spent at the market on the pier and trying out reflexology. I bumped into a couple I met on the Whitsundays sailing trip while waiting for the bus, so spent some time chatting to them. General consensus was that Boomerang was brilliant and none of us had heard anything really positive about other boats.

5 hours later (a relatively short trip for here) I arrived in Byron Bay and checked in to Nomads hostel. Much better than the Brisbane one, although am in an 8 bed mixed sex dorm.

I've changed states and time zones so am now in New South Wales, 11 hours ahead of UK. Byron is nice, fairly small with just a couple of main streets although busy with schoolies on their break. Nowhere near as much Christmas stuff here although one house has Santa's sleigh drawn by dolphins.Yesterday evening I walked down to the beach and saw the police horses galloping along it. Today was a day trip to the hippy town of Nimbin, where marijuana is easily available and the police don't prevent it being sold. We stopped on the way there to buy drinks (cider) and spent an hour or so wandering around the colourful main street. The candle factory is worth a visit. BBQ for lunch at Rocky Creek dam, cooked by our driver Jim. Drove back through the national park and visited a very small waterfall.

Nothing planned for the morning apart from checking out, then surf lesson in the afternoon before dinner and the night bus to Sydney.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb