Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
January 1st 2012
Published: January 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hi All!!

Once we left Jason, Deanna and Tenaya, we took the greyhound to Byron Bay. As Byron Bay was in New South Wales, we had to add an hour to our clocks and so, by the time we arrived at the hostel, it was quite late. We got settled in our room and went to bed for a very long sleep; until 11am the next day!! We woke up to very stormy weather, with extremely heavy rain every 30mins or so. We needed some shopping and were lucky to get into the shops in between the showers and get our food. We then spent the rest of the afternoon reading in bed, whilst it rained outside. Anton made us a lovely Nasi Goreng for dinner and we had an evening of scrabble and then another early night (we are so exciting aren't we?!!)

The next day was good weather, so we packed our lunch, went to reception to book horse-riding on the beach for the next day, and headed out on the coastal walk to Byron Bay Lighthouse. When we reached the beach we were both wowed by it's beauty. We have seen so many beautiful places, but Byron Bay beach was another stunner!!! We walked along the beach to the far end and then up onto the coastal path towards the lighthouse. What we didn't prepare for was the amount of steps up to the lighthouse!! On the way we saw another monitor lizard (we actually followed him for ages; although I was a bit worried he was going to turn around and bite us!) and we were so lucky to see another pod of dolphins, who were playing with each other and jumping out of the water; it was great to see. Seeing the dolphins did take the mind off the hundreds more steps we had to climb to the lighthouse. Anton forged ahead and I slowly but surely died with each step; I was calling that I couldn't do any more but he kept giving me encouragement (a piggy back would have been more help than words though!!) We finally made it to the lighthouse and took in the amazing view over Byron Bay. Downstairs on the way back was much more appealing and we made our way back to a small bay called Watego's Beach to have our lunch and a go for a swim. When we got back to our hostel, we had the disappointing news that our horse-riding had been cancelled; I was gutted as I was so looking forward to horse-riding along the beach. Hopefully we will be able to do it somewhere else.

The next day we hired some bikes from the hostel and headed out to explore Byron Bay (we actually wanted to find the nudest beach as I wanted to experience a naked swim!!) As much as we tried, and as far as we rode, we couldn't find the nudest beach. I think Anton was quite relieved as I told him if I was going swimming naked, then so was he and the water was quite cold!!!! We found an industrial estate full of arts, crafts and hippie shops and had a look around before treating ourselves to lunch in a cafe. Once lunch was finished we got back on our bikes for the ride home. What we didn't realise was the break from riding over lunch, had let our bums realise that they had been sat on some very hard seats for a very long time. Oh my goodness, the pain to sit on that bike seat again was almost unbearable! We managed to make it back to the hostel with a lot of cursing and alot of standing up riding and were extremely glad to give the bikes back!

The following day, with very sore bums, we checked out of Byron Bay and caught the bus to Port Macquarie.

Lots of love to you all xxxxxxx

Kisses to Thomas, Lauren, Erin, George, Niah, Evie, Matilda and Isaac and not forgetting Jonnie!!! xxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb