Mar. 5-7 Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
March 8th 2011
Published: March 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mar. 6 – 8

Woke up early and heard what I thought was a chainsaw. I was right. We all watched as a crew of men cut down a tree from the neighbour’s yard that shaded most of Jen and Simon’s backyard. Quite a few birds were very unhappy and I suspect there were a few nests in the tree. Poor Kookaburras.
We went downtown and I rented a car for a couple days. Drove Simon to soccer game and then Jenica and I went to Mount Coot-Tha Botanical Gardens. Saw lots of amazing trees, plants and birds. Quite a noisy group of sulphur crested cockatoos – big birds. Quiet night.
Up early Sunday morning and drove to Byron Bay – 2 hours south of Brisbane. Our goal – Kayaking with the dolphins. This was the one thing Jenica wanted most to do while I was here. Get there and they tell us it is a bit windy, would we like to postpone until morning. We decide that we will go. Adventurous trip. Flat open heavy plastic kayaks, not the sea kayaks I am more used to. Big group of young people. Once again I am the “mature one”. High waves. We are warned that we will probably flip so they go over instructions for getting back into the kayak. Launching and landing are the challenges. Sure enough – first boat launched, flips. Most of us do flip but getting back into the kayak is not that hard. Water is delightfully warm though.
Eventually we are all organized and paddle over to the bay where we hope to see dolphins. After a bit we see a small pod of about 5 far off. We wait and they come closer. Amazing as they finally come within 50 feet of us. None of my pictures turned out very well though. Holding the kayaks straight into the waves is becoming more of a challenge so finally we head back to shore. Landing was tricky, and we flip again and swim into the beach. Everyone is fine and we have our snack and drinks on the beach. A couple people decide to snorkel but we decide to find our B&B. Then off to Balina about 25 minutes away where Jenica and Simon have had great luck seeing dolphins. Lovely spot but no dolphins today.
Monday morning after breakfast we head up to
Byron BayByron BayByron Bay

launching the kayaks
check out the lighthouse at Byron Bay, then a walk on the beach. Drive back to Brisbane and get Jenica to work for 2 p.m.
Night – out for a fabulous steak supper at a cool restaurant called “The Norman”. Slabs of fresh steaks just waiting to be chosen and cooked. It’s reputation is Brisbane’s worst vegetarian restaurant. Very good meal.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Hang gliding!Hang gliding!
Hang gliding!

This guy is crazy!
Beautiful beach!Beautiful beach!
Beautiful beach!

Notice no one on the beach. Surf is getting stronger.
Nice Waves.Nice Waves.
Nice Waves.

But no dolphins here.


8th March 2011

Hey
Great to hear from you! Very jealous of your trip. It looks like you are having a wonderful time. I cannot wait to hear all about it. I fly out on Friday night. Sat - Tues in Amsterdam and Tues- Sun in Belgium. It will be a whirlwind trip. Steph
8th March 2011

Have a great trip to Europe. I know you will pack a lot into it. Good luck and have fun.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb