The things you see ..


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
September 13th 2010
Published: September 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


When we left the Gallery of Modern Art (and the Valentino Retrospective), and were on our way back to the wharf to catch the cat, we walked through the Art Gallery which is all but next door. We found there was a Hans Heysen exhibition on there. Hans Heysen's paintings are a favourite, twice we've been through his old home in the Adelaide foothills which is surrounded by the beautiful big white gum trees that he loved to paint .. and painted so well. I have a print of his painting of his wife at her sewing machine and it was on exhibition there .. nice to see the real McCoy again.

I have a thing for sculpture and there are some nice pieces around the Art Gallery. I rather liked the pears inside the gallery, then saw the cicada on the median strip outside and had to photograph that! There are Lego men climbing over the Centre for Performing Arts, which is the next building on this walk ... lots of fun things to find on Southbank!

After our night just north of Surfers Paradise, we drove around the Main Beach and the Spit of Surfers, before driving
Sandstone suitcaseSandstone suitcaseSandstone suitcase

along the Southbank walk
on to Tallebudgera at Palm Beach for the night. I love the mountains in the background, the view from Mum and Dad's house when they lived at Palm Beach. We walked along the Tallebudgera River to the groin that extends out past the beach. There were great views from there of the beach and of Surfers, the tall buildings don't look half as spectacular as the mountains though!

When we drove next morning down the coast, we spied some sculptures which we'd heard Currumbin Beach was featuring at the moment. There is a permanent one there that I've always liked, a lady in a hat, lounging on a deck. Now for a short time, there are other fun ones along the footpath. We didn't get out of the car, but I snapped a few as we drove past.

We are at Byron Bay, it was cloudy yesterday so we walked along the shops, lots of nice things, and had the tenderest steak I've ever eaten at night (one day Valentino, a couple of nights later, the Hogs Breath Cafe). Today hopefully will be a beach day - I'm waiting for the sun to rise, this being the most easterly point of Australia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Palm BeachPalm Beach
Palm Beach

looking from the groin at Tallebudgera


Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1891s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb