Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
June 22nd 2010
Published: June 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Byron bay was a very nice as a place and we had a great time doing a bit of body boarding and going on a couple of lovely coastal walks. There are a lot of hippies in Byron bay, it's a good place to people watch. Also meant we ate a lot of falafel while we were there. Weather was OK during the day but you could definately tell in the evenings that it was getting colder... time to get the jumpers out!

We saw lots of dolphins (still no whales), beautiful beaches, mad surfers and walked to the most easterly point in Australia. Dan took some excellent pictures of the big waves by getting absolutely soaked - good job his camera is waterproof! Whilst body boarding we saw a big shoal of fish actually in the wave just before it broke. Really cool but I did wonder if there was a really big fish chasing them! ahhh! The current was also so strong, really crazy - lots of fun but very tiring!

Unfortunately we stayed in the worst hostel ever!!! As it is winter and we were there just for a Sunday and Monday night everything seemed to shut really early and so we were forced to actually stay in our gross room. Included were curtains that shut only when you stuck them to the wall with complimentary sticky tape, a bathroom door which only opened and shut when you lifted up the toilet seat, lots and lots of ants, a duvet that didn't fit, broken window, general damp and dirt and plug sockets hanging out of the wall! I realise we are travelling on a budget but when we saw the other places down the road where we could have stayed for the same price it made us very sad. Worst part is, we paid extra to stay in this hell hole of a double room as a last bit of luxury before going back to dorm life in Sydney.... ha ha ha!

Just before we got on the coach to leave the driver pointed out that I had managed to book the wrong coach ticket, same coach number, same time.... different day. Travelling has not really made me more organised, just less stress when it goes wrong! It was a bit touch and go if I could get on the same bus as Dan but thankfully we had another nice Greyhound driver and he sorted it... Phew! There was no way I was spending another night in Main Beach Backpackers!!!!

Advertisement



22nd June 2010

Hostel room
I think you've done the room a disservice. The table was nice.

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb