Byron Bay, surf capital of New South Wales & even Australia!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
June 14th 2007
Published: August 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Byron Bay late Tuesday morning & headed to the Arts Factory where Rich told us to go & stay, (it must have been ok for him to spend eight weeks there!) We got the shuttle bus there & checked in, we got the bus back into Byron as the Arts Factory was a little walk away from town. Claire had to get a few things sorted for Michael's arrival so I had a walk around the shops & then went & took some photos of the beach & sat in the sun reading my book. I got chatting to a lady who had travelled to 170 countries & was saying how much I would love New Zealand & the Cook Islands.

I met Claire & we went to a nice little cafe & sat in the sun having a chat & a coffee before heading back to the hostel for lunch. We went on a 'Bush Tucker' walk with a guy called Cockatoo Paul who was quite amusing & told us about loads of bush plants that you could eat, use to start a fire, act as a repellant against insects & loads of other things.
The Beach with the famous lighthouse in the backgroundThe Beach with the famous lighthouse in the backgroundThe Beach with the famous lighthouse in the background

(The lighthouse is the most eastern point of Australia!)

We got to have a free beer in the bar afterwards & a lady called Zinnea came to talk to us about a one day massage course she was running the following day, Claire & I said we were interested but had already booked a trip to go to Nimbin the following day so was there any chance we could do it on Thursday, she said yes we could so we booked on to it. We had some tea & some Goon before having an early night.

On Wednesday we went on one of 'Jim's Alternative Tours' we went on a multi-coloured bus with loads of 60's tunes blasting out through the beautiful countryside of New South Wales. We stopped at a pub in Lismore on the way & spent a couple of hours in Nimbin. We went around the shops & the Hemp Museum & saw what a crazy place the little town of Nimbin is. On the way home we went to a crazy American's house in a forest & ate some Macadamian nuts & chilled out by the lake in his garden. We went to Minyon Falls only there wasn't any water although the view was
The main street in NimbinThe main street in NimbinThe main street in Nimbin

Count the stoners!
still nice. When we got back we had a relaxing evening & packed ready to check out early on Thursday morning.

Thursday we started our massage course after breakfast & Claire & I got paired up. There was five of us doing the course & Zinnea demonstrated the massage techniques on one person & we had to practice it on our partner; I massaged Claire first, up until lunchtime & then we had a break before swopping. It was good fun & I got a free three hour massage which was good! Zinnea had to re-align my neck which I think had got messed up from carrying my massive rucksack around!

We had some dinner & hung around waiting for the night bus to take us to Sydney, it was an absolute mission of a journey & we left about 8pm & didn't get to Central Station in Sydney until 10.30am. I liked Byron & wished we could have stayed longer but it was good to see & do all the things we did in the short time we were there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

In the Hemp MuseumIn the Hemp Museum
In the Hemp Museum

Wierd stuff!


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0936s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb