The Inbetween Journey


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
April 21st 2018
Published: May 21st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Between the Blue Mountains and The Gold Coast is 570 miles (roughly 10h drIve) of basically just coast. This drive took us a week and we stopped in three different towns along the way.
The first place we stopped was Newcastle. This area was discovered by accident when in 1797 John Shortland was sent to search for a number of convicts who had seized HMS Cumberland as she was sailing out of Sydney. The town became a big coal mining area. Newcastle gained a reputation as a "hellhole" as it was a place where the most dangerous convicts were sent to dig in the coal mines as harsh punishment for their crimes.
When we first arrived in Newcastle we went straight to the beach and spent the afternoon reading, sunbathing and swimming.
The next day the weather wasn’t great so we decided to do a few different things. Firstly we took the van through a car wash. It was the first time we had washed the van since buying it in August and it really did make a difference, however seagulls have attacked the van since. After that we went bowling. What we didn’t realise was that it was the start of the school holidays but luckily for us the alley was quiet and we did get a holiday deal and ended up playing three games - I lost all of them. As we don’t have an Australian address the next was a little more difficult but we managed it - we test drove a new car. We found a dealership and after looking at the cars and talking to the man who worked there we picked one we wanted to test drive - a very nice light blue Santa Fe. We were able to drive around the yard and carpark. We drove round a few times testing out the features, reverse camera etc. It was getting late by then so we decided to go to a happy hour. After having a beer and a cocktail, we decided it was time to get dinner. We went to a local restaurant where, when trying to leave we found the battery had died and we couldn’t go. We waited for some one to come along and luckily a nice couple jump started us.
The next morning the battery had died again. Someone was parked next to us which meant we couldn’t jump start as people couldn’t get to our battery. We decided there was no point spending the day at the van and went to a local all you can eat - we ate a lot. When we went back to the van it was still the same car and after waiting for the owner to come back we had a jump start again and drove to a local garage to have the battery replaced the next day.
After having the battery replaced we drove to a small town near by where we bought two books each from the local charity shop and gave them to the other person. We have now both finished the books we got each other and we both enjoyed them.

After spending the night in a McDonald’s carpark - they had a shower we used in the morning - we went to Coffs Harbour. Coffs Harbour owes its name to John Korff, who named the area Korff's Harbour when he was forced to take shelter from a storm in 1847. The name was accidentally changed by the surveyor for the crown when he reserved the land during 1861.
We had wanted to have a beach day but unfortunately the weather was against us. Instead we had a cinema day. We had done this once before on New Years Eve. We planned it perfectly. Work out what films we want to see, how long they are and what times they are showing. But a ticket for one and then watch them all. On New Years Eve we managed three films, this time we managed four for the price of one. However when the price is $20 for one sneaking into another doesn’t seem too bad.
The next day the weather was with us for a beach day and we spent the morning at the beach; Laurent stayed there but in the afternoon I went for a walk. I headed towards the town centre but had a lovely walk along the river and then through the botanic gardens. I did make it to the centre and had a lovely time exploring it.
Coffs Harbour is famous for a huge banana they have. As both times we drove past it was at night, I only managed to get a photo of it in the dark but it’s good enough.
The next day we headed to our last destination before the Gold Coast - Byron Bay. Byron Bay which is the home to the most Eastern point of mainland Australia. We arrived early afternoon and spend it on the beach. The area is very strict about spending the night at the side of the road - something we’d been doing a lot. Instead of risking a fine we drove about twenty minutes to a very busy rest stop, luckily it was free.
We decided to have another beach day. We swam twice, the water was so warm! A wave caught me of guard twice and after a few brilliant gymnastic displays I decided to go and look around the town. It was hippie, touristy and I loved it. The shops were all similar in a way but I didn’t mind. I loved how the town obviously survived on tourism - sort of like my village back home.
The next day we had planned to hire a tandem bike and cycle to the light house, which is at the most eastern point. Unfortunately it was pouring down! So we drove the road up to the light house took a few pictures and headed to the Gold Coast.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb