I'm In Love With Art: A Well-Spent Time in Broken Hill, NSW


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Broken Hill
May 13th 2016
Published: May 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post



Broken Hill NSW Australia

In Australia, I didn't have to travel far beyond the coast to see that the continent was much more than beaches and desert. Broken Hill is just one example of the rich culture and history that is prevalent there. Located, along the western border of New South Wales, this "Oasis of the West" was incorporated as a mining community, known for producing one of the world's largest zinc, lead, and silver deposits. It is also well-known for its prevailing sunshine and illustrious green areas that contrast the surrounding desert. In addition to the artistic explosion that has strengthened the city's culture since the 1900s, Broken Hill enjoys a moderate indigenous population.



Mining and Art

There is no shortage of things to see in Broken Hill. Broken Hill Regional Art Gallery helps to keep the city alive with fresh and inspiring artwork. Its halls and galleries are perpetually transforming, always filling with musical presentations and temporary exhibitions. Inside, oak floorboards stretch between rows of artwork decorating bright walls. The gallery was founded in 1904, after the acquisition of a collection by Mr. George McCulloch, and since then has undergone relocations, renovations, and received awards for its role in preserving Australia's history. The gallery is seated along Argent Street, within the town's historical district and most populated shopping area.




Broken Hill is generally referred to as Australia's first heritage city, esteemed for its war memorials, among other sites and attractions. Notably, the town has also been praised for contributions its mining business has made to national resources, a fact that helps to bring in 150,000 visitors each year. The Albert Kersten Mining and Mineral Museum grants tourists passage deep into heart of the city's primary source of revenue and helps explain the story of its origin. Over the years, the museum has not only added to its collection of precious rocks and minerals, but it also displays a number of interesting galleries and art pieces, like the famed silver tree and "big bang" exhibit. Since I enjoy mining tours and museums, the Albert Kersten Mining Museum was an ideal place to begin, and it helped to put much of the city into perspective.




The Barrier Ranges is a small representation of Australia's efforts to preserve its centuries-old heritage. Stretching a few miles from city limits, the area is fenced off to keep predators from attacking tourists. It can be accessed by vehicle, from 1-kilometer away, and from there, I entered the site on foot. It seemed strange that many of the country's alluring monuments exist in its most desolate places. Spread over the Living Desert, the 12 Sandstone Sculptures can be credited to the handful of artists who carved them in 1993. Each sculpture, along with its unique tale, has become imbedded in Broken Hill's culture and part of what gives the Barrier Ranges its prominence and mystery.



Broken Hill Accommodation Travel

Because I dreading the long 12.5-hour drive across New South Wales, I journey made the by train. The Outback Explorer runs weekly, from Broken Hill to Sydney, and it provides a perfect opportunity to view the country. Upon arrival, a number of hotels can be found clustered throughout Broken Hill, most of them located along Argent Street. The Palace, one of the city's most notable inns, made history when it appeared in the 1994 film, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. The hotel was built in 1889, as a restaurant and coffee house, but proved unsuccessful and was converted to a hotel instead.



I decided to book a 4-star spa suite at the Desert Sand Motor Inn. The rooms were cozy and well-maintained, and I enjoyed the friendly staff at the restaurant and bar. Most importantly, the inn was only a short walk from Argent Street, which made getting out for an afternoon filled with shopping and sightseeing a little easier. Many people come to Broken Hill to get the experience of staying in an old Broken Hill heritage cottages though. Since I didn't get to do it this time, I plan to do it next time I visit Broken Hill again. Overall I enjoyed my stay and look forward to visiting again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb