Day 6-7 in OZ


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Broken Hill
September 1st 2008
Published: September 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

30Aug -31Aug

Saturday August 30
Cobar to Wilcannia to White Cliffs.
We stopped for a few groceries before we left Cobar and just as we were getting into the van a young lady stopped to talk. From Guelph!!!. They have been here about 2 ½ years. Her husband working in the mine.
Finally confirmed sighting of kangaroos. 10:12am. Linda beat on me for not stopping to get a picture!
Lots of goats and sheep buy the roadside. Running wild. One little guy was in the middle of the road, ignoring us until he actually spotted us. Then he took off !!

Truly in the outback. Not much to see. Cobar to Wilcannia we saw approximately 20 vehicles in 230km.
Wilcannia to White Cliffs we saw 4, all 4 coming out of White Cliffs. Started to rain. Not too heavy.

While there might not be much to see, it is very interesting. Something the likes of which we have never seen. Red earth, sometimes lots of trees/shrubbery, sometimes nothing very much.
Unfortunately, Wilcannia isn’t faring very well. Lots of businesses boarded up.

White Cliffs is a very interesting place. Not very many buildings, lots of dugouts in the hills where opal miners live and work. Still a few miners working year round, mostly I guess part timers come in during the winter when its not +50. AND a very nice little pub. Very friendly folk there and we had a great visit. And a couple of good beers. XXXX the best.

Toured around the diggings and got a bunch of good pictures. Went to one of the ‘shops’ and Linda managed to purchase a nice necklace.

Toured PJ’s B&B. An underground B&B. WOW what a place and what a lot of work. Digging out all the rooms, coating the walls with 3 layers of cement (each one a bit smoother), then painting all the walls white. Exceptional, and if anyone wants to buy it, its for sale!!. Part of it is still somewhat active mining for opals. The owner has done a great job of showing what the mining process it.

Sunday August 31
White Cliffs to Broken Hill

Pulled in to a nice, but a bit crowded campground. Nice and quiet though. Linda says, caravan park!!
Good neighbours with a nice, little friendly puppy dog.
Will check out some of the sites and update later.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb