Sydney - Blue Mountains


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Blue Mountains
February 21st 2015
Published: February 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, yesterday got up really early and caught the train to The Blue Mountains, took 2 hours to get there, we got off at Katoomba. Realised it was very different weather after leaving the city where it was hot, coming into the mountains it was raining and foggy. We were'nt really dressed for this, but hoped that it would clear up. Of course it didn't, the whole day was a wash out. We did the hop on hop off bus, which was really good, the two drivers John and Jimmy had very funny stories to tell and were very helpful giving us the best way to do the circuit. However it was like going up The Shard, the very first time which was in a snow cloud !! This was exactly the same, except it was a fog cloud !! I will put some pictures up, please don't think the photo's didn't come out correctly, because they did, but that's how it was !! We went up on a cable car, 545 metres over the Jamison Valley and saw ZILCH !! Then we went onto the railway, which is the steepest train in the world, that just threw you down into the valley, felt like you were standing up, saw ZILCH !! Well a bit of valley at the side of us !! Whopee !! Then we went on the skyway, which has a glass floor, this takes you above Jamison Valley, at 270 metres it is the highest cable car in Aussie, saw ZILCH !! We then decided to do the walkway which is the longest elevated Boardwalk in Aussie, got WET !! But did see all different species of trees and a miners cottage and old railway, believe me, we were just happy to see something !!!

We then hopped onto Jimmy and John's bus and went off to see The Three Sisters which is the main thing I wanted to see, Stu has seen all this before but took me up here as he said it is just breathtaking. Well saw a load of fog !! Then it was like a miracle, it cleared for about a minute and there they were, these 3 huge rocks in this fantastic valley, pretty amazing, then in seconds the fog covered over it again. By then it was coming down buckets, as you can see in the photos what we were wearing !! We then hopped on the bus and went to the waterfalls, which were nice and then a bonus for us, when we walked right to the end of the waterfalls in the rain we saw a stunning view, so that was worth it. We then hopped onto the bus and went into a quaint little place called Leura and had dinner and a drink. Then caught the train back to Sydney, exhausted. However back to our nice little backpacker bed, took one look at it and went out to have a wine and a beer. The streets were very busy, I noticed that the bar right opposite us opens at 5.00 am, that makes sense as the other morning and all night it was so busy and loud outside, I couldn't understand what was going on. 5.00 am ? Now I like a wine or two but 5.00 am !! Good for the shift workers, the 'ladies of the night' !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb