More New England Highway


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Bathurst
June 24th 2012
Published: June 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We finally headed out from Beardy Creek on Wednesday after three days of sitting in the sun thawing out after being frozen overnight in the van. At the same time as we were sitting in the sun reading the van had all windows open with the fan blowing air through to dry the ice from the previous night. At 3:45pm each day we would retreat inside again to recommence the icing process. Even so we would recommend this site for free camping, but have your own porta potti for summer. There is a 48 hour limit – we stayed 72 hours!

We had been so bone idle we had not even bothered to do any sightseeing or even going into Glenn Innes to buy bread or fresh vegetables preferring to live off the cruskettes and vegetables I dried using by dehydrator.

We were planning on staying overnight in Merriwa but when we got there we discovered that the caravan park was right next to the highway and the caretaker was missing. As we were planning to stay somewhere and pay money to use their electricity to completely dry out the moisture on the inside of the van we chose to move on to a little town called Cassilis.

This is a town of 110 people. The Camping ground is next to the bowling club who now manage the site. The BC opens every day from 5-7pm (minimum) and they serve meals on Friday nights. Darn we were there on Thursday. You have to go to the BC to pay.

We were early so hooked ourselves up to a powered site and set up all the water etc. We had electricity, water, brand new toilet and shower block with hot water, grassed site all for $10 a night. Highly recommended. We had the place to ourselves.

We worked out how to use our reverse cycle air conditioner and set it to the minimum of 16c for overnight imagining that we would be having the minus minimum temperature issues of the past few days. Woke up to find that the minimum appeared to have been 14.2c. But there was no condensation inside which was a bonus.

When I wandered outside I came across the most beautiful sunrise, photo is attached.

As we prepared to leave we noticed black clouds heading towards us. Of yes the last 250 kms to Perthville were done through horrible rain, mist etc. It is not fun travelling along minor roads up and down windy hilly road in these conditions with large trucks trying to force you to go faster and all the signs saying things like 'slippery when wet' or 'slippery when icy'. Some of the bends in the roads were very sharp indeed.

We stopped in a tiny town called Sofala for lunch where we had steak sandwiches and I relished a pot of tea inside the small general store which was lovely and warm. Outside it was about 8c and miserable. Interesting little gold mining ghost town with some wonderful run down buildings. There are lots of free camping sites along the river very close to the town. We will be back to revisit.

All the way the scenery was exceptional.

Finally we found our way to Mudgee (didn’t recognise the names of any of the wineries) and on to Perthville and Dave and Shirley’s house.

Lovely to catch up with friends, it has been 7 years since we saw them in the flesh. They now live on top of a hill in rural splendour on 15 acres and have 360 degree views. Fabulous .

Saturday we lined up and watched Dave and Shirley open up their brand new Cub Supermatic Drover camper. The manuals for these things are not quite Chinglese but they come close. It is now sitting in splendour on their back lawn and being wet down on a regular basis to cure the canvas to stop it leaking later on.

We explored porta potties¸ and have been showing them the set up we have with a media centre and hard drives which contain our movies and TV shows. The boys have spent time talking software and how to set the whole thing up.

Later Dave took us for a drive around Mount Panorama where they hold the motor races. People actually live along the track. The bends and turns are frightening¸ how the drivers keep their nerve is beyond me. The view from the top is beautiful.

Today Sunday when I woke up and opened the blind I found another magic sunrise here at Perthville 9 kms from Bathurst. Later we went off to BCF, Bunnings and Supercheap Auto to purchase a variety of items mainly for Dave and Shirley. Before departing the dog Sam was locked into his pen with a large marrow bone which he insisted on showing us with glee.

Then on to Lucknow so GMan could get some new ugg boots. His are coming apart. He wouldn’t agree to a purchase of a hot pink lambs wool for Fray’s bed. I would have gotten an electric blue one for Ratty as well.

We lunched at a former Cobb and co inn at Vittoria before returning to rural bliss.

I of course was wandering around with my eyes shut and managed to trip over a hose pipe and came down heavily on my right knee, back of my right hand and my NOSE. I have scratches but am fine. Hopefully the nose will clear up quickly. What I managed to do was to break two of the glasses in our wineglass holder I was bringing to show Shirley because they don't bang together and break in the van!

Off to Holly Jean and Alias on Tuesday. Sounds like Barunduda is also very cold.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



24th June 2012
Sunrise Perthville

Sunrise
More great pictures and stories, travel safe:)
24th June 2012

photos are lovely
If you are still using your phone for photos it is certainly doing a great job. Camper looks as good as we saw it at the C & C show recently, except the vase of flowers, bottle of champers & glasses are no where to be seen. Shirley has curls???hmmm. Hope your knee is o k. Barbara
26th June 2012

Loving the tales and photos of your trip. As a New South Welshsman the names Sofala, Mudgee, Bathurst etc. pull at my heart strings. Amazing sunrise a Cassilis
26th June 2012

More interesting news
All sounds great (except the freezing cold and ice in the van). Pictures are super. Keep them coming

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.062s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb