Our 100km walk: day 5


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Batemans Bay
December 31st 2015
Published: January 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

sunrisesunrisesunrise

I am going to miss these when I become house-bound again.
New years eve. Our last day: just 16km or so to Batemans Bay. A bit more walking through Murramarang national park, a long walk along Long Beach and a final river crossing at Cullendulla river saw us pretty much home.

We were not sure about Cullendulla river as it was also a very wide crossing and we would be getting there at high tide but we found an old car tire right on the bank that helped us float our packs across while getting the tire at least a little closer to a recycling depot! Yet again everything just worked out.

The walk overall had been brilliant. I just love the ocean and somehow when you are at the seaside everything just falls in to perspective. The constant soothing sound of waves coming and going. Coming and going. Coming and going. There is so much uncertainty in life but one thing is for certain - the waves will keep on coming and going.

Another thought I had as we were walking and I don't know if I can speak for other 'white' people... but as a white person I have often felt a bit like an import to this country. This walk has really helped me 'connect to country' or 'connect to the land' where I grew up. I have let go of feeling disconnected to this land and I now feel like I know it. I belong to it. Walking through a place lets you really experience and know it. Driving just gets you from one bit to another. The map between my parents' place and Jono's parents' place has now been coloured in and given another dimension.

That all said coming home to Jono's parents' place and having great company home cooked meal and a bed with a roof and a hot shower was also pretty magic! What a super end to a super year. Already planning the next long walk and how to get those 4 year olds of our in training!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Cool treeCool tree
Cool tree

Talk about a tree that has grown the way it wants to and not conformed to the way a tree is 'meant to be'. Love it.
Magic rock poolMagic rock pool
Magic rock pool

Feeling hot and hungry and tired... and then this came along! Crystal clear, rock bottomed shaped like a bath. Bliss.
Batemans bay across the bayBatemans bay across the bay
Batemans bay across the bay

So close but so far away!
Cullendulla creekCullendulla creek
Cullendulla creek

Using a car tyre to help us float our packs across ...
Final crossingFinal crossing
Final crossing

This one was dry! Arriving at Batemans Bay


Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 72; dbt: 0.141s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb