Fabulous Food for our 33rd (13/3/14 Part 2)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Batemans Bay
March 13th 2014
Published: March 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We dropped John and Jill off at their caravan and then went to look at Pretty Beach, which they had recommended. It was accessed through the Murramarang National Park that led to another lookout over the beach. It was quite nice but I preferred Wasp Head. We encountered another black wallaby as we walked back to the car, and a little yellow breasted bird, which I think was a Yellow Robin. It was hard to tell as he wouldn’t stay still long enough to get a good look, little pest.

The next day, March 14th, was our 33rd wedding anniversary and, as we would be on the road going to our next destination, we decided to have our celebration dinner a day early (instead of forgetting about it until days or weeks later, as we often do these days!). The Merry Street Restaurant was just around the corner from our caravan park and advertised that Thursday’s fixed menu was a Tunisian Banquet. Sounded interesting and we hadn’t tried Tunisian food before so that’s where we went.

We were seated next to a window that overlooked the road which sloped away from us as we were near the top of
Murramarang National Park Murramarang National Park Murramarang National Park

A cute wallaby hops out of the bush
the rise. It was nearly dusk and we had wonderful time watching all the wildlife in the street coming and going until it got too dark to see. There were several grey kangaroos, about ten rabbits and a wide range of birds.

The first course arrived – Prawn Twist in lemon and garlic sauce. The thin pastry was wrapped around the prawns like a cone so you had a handle to pick them up. They were delicious.

Then all the other savoury dishes came out together. They were Beef and Mushroom Sausages (which were nicely spicy but not hot) with salad in a light dressing; Chicken in a Dukka made with cinnamon, cumin and pistachio served with Cous-cous (all with a lovely delicate flavour); and Beef Meatballs with yoghurt (which I don’t usually like) and mint sauce served with Potatoes and a Vegetable Casserole (very tasty and I couldn’t taste the yoghurt!). They only gave us three meatballs, which we thought odd for two people, so we had to split one. We washed it all down with a local Semillon Sauvignon Blanc (for me) and a James Squires Chance Amber Ale (for Barry).

Dessert was a delicious
Murramarang National Park Murramarang National Park Murramarang National Park

Fungus on a fallen tree
moist Hummingbird Cake topped with shreds of coconut and crushed pistachios and served with cream, an Elderflower Sauce and topped with ½ a strawberry. YUM! We completed our wonderful repast with a coffee each and we shared a glass of port.

Then back to the van to sort out where we were going the next day. I never did get my swim!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Merry Street RestaurantMerry Street Restaurant
Merry Street Restaurant

Barry and I enjoying a Tunisian Banquet for our 33rd wedding anniversary meal - a day early.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb