Homeward Bound


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Christmas Island
October 15th 2010
Published: October 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post




It is a bank holiday for Christmas Island, as I explained in my last blog (Cove Day) 4th October.

Caroline has a Bank Holiday in Canberra for Labour day and I texted her this morning at 04.30 as it was 08.30 Canberra time and she was off to Pilates with Bec and Sarah.

I came in early this morning with my mate Pete, he took me home yesterday as I was raining so hard, it wouldn’t have been fun on the bike.

The usual route we take was closed this morning, due to Crab Migration, hey may be, just maybe its starting just before I leave, I will be so happy if its game on so I will not have missed it.

I realise just how lucky I have been, to be able to have visited Christmas Island, it has been a unique experience and one I will never forget, I do hope Myself and Caroline can somehow explore the islands magnificence together some time.

My mind is now tuned in to me leaving, I have my flight details and will be back in Canberra early Friday morning.

Boringly, I have a lot to do at work and a lot of preparation to do personally, cloths to be washed etc.

I don’t quite feel my usual happy self, I am sad to be leaving, but very happy of the thought I will see Caroline.

The day goes in a blink of an eye, because a lot of our staff are permanent on the island they get the bank holiday off, but someone who is seconded like me has to work.

It has been really quite today, so I decide to slide off home earlier than usual.

I get home and my flat mate has just got in, extremely sun burnt, as he went out this morning and the weather was fairly dull, but as it brighten up got burnt to bits, strangely enough he should no better he is Australian.

It was about 4.25 I said to Shane that I was just going to have a nana, and retired to my room, I woke at 12.30 got up, turned the light off and went back to sleep.

I woke again at about 5 minutes before my alarm went off at 5.00am had a shower and went to work.

I attended the seniors managers meeting and afterwards we all have things to do people to see etc when we are up at the main complex, Ray who’s just returned from his trip home to New Zealand said, I have just heard your are leaving , I do hope we are all going out for this occasion. And asked me what date I was going.

I got an email message that I was to turn up at the skanky Ho at 7.30, as it was my surprise leaving do.

When I got there that evening about 12 or so of the gang had gathered and we ate and downed a few beers.

One Guys wife had flown out from Kilmarnock in Scotland to be with her husband and even though was jet lagged managed to come out and celebrate.

I was presented with a “Well done Possum” card signed by my colleagues which was nice, and a few kind words were said around the table.

Wednesday again I was taken out to dinner, I have to admit Chinese food is warring a bit thin now, but when someone offers to pay the bill it would be rude not to accept.

Thursday morning I woke about 3.00am, I text Caroline as I was wide wake and she text back.

My packing was all done except for the towel that I would shower with this morning would need drying before my case was finally zipped up.

I had arranged for my case to be taken in to work by one of the lads, he would leave his front door unlocked and I was to leave my case in this flat when ever I decided to leave it and when he got up and went to work, he would take the case with him.

I had washed up, cleaned the microwave, fridge, emptied the cupboards stripped the beds and swept the flat and still managed to drop my bag off in Pete’s flat at about 4.45 am.

The crab gates have been down all week and traffic has been diverted around different roads on the island, due to the crab migration, but this morning they were up, so I guess it was another false alarm , the crabs may have just been out for a walk.

I rode the scooter in for the last time down the phosphate road through the early morning coolness, with the gorgeous smell of the jungle which filled my nostrils.

I was just in shorts sleeves and it was absolutely beautiful, it wouldn’t have been if I had of come of the scooter though.

I passed a couple of robber crabs out on the slow gentle forage for food and I was over whelmed with a sense of sadness about how much I would miss Christmas Island.

I attended my morning meetings and I got a round of thank you’s for my hard work.

Once the meetings were over, it was a quick shake of hands and a couple of hugs and kisses then I had to shot down to my area, to clear my desk and prepare to get the scooter back from where I had hired it.

I organized one of the lads to meet me at the scooter hire place, put my helmet on and shot off to settlement, the other side of the island.

Teresa the scooter lady checked the bike and was happy with its condition and refunded my deposit.

My lift picked me up and we drove back to North west point where I was re acquainted with my luggage, my final bits and pieces were put in to my rucksack and we were set.

Inside I was so apprehensive in leaving, I have had such an amazing experience with everyone down here I know my work is not complete, but I am told I am needed somewhere else.

I jumped in to Paul’s Car, we were going back to his place as his children were going back to Perth, where his ex wife’s mother was going to meet them and they were going to be escorted through their whole journey by one of the flight crew.

We all got to the airport, it was a beautiful afternoon and there were lots off people I knew going off Island back to loved ones after their stint on the island.

The plane arrived and all the new comers arrived, it was soon ready to board, it was 5.05pm and in about 14 Hours I would be home, flying through the night.

The plane thunders along the tarmac, and lifts gently in to the air, at about 200 feet, it gently banks heading out in to the big blue and I glance down at the island, wow, how lucky have I been.

I am homeward bound heading towards Caroline, I do a bit of work on this blog and I settle in to the flight.

Fortunately I have no one sitting by me and have a couple of seating to spread across when I want to get some sleep.

Behind me are some amazing people I have left behind, dedicated in what they are doing, no names, they all know who they are.

I arrive in Perth, and check my back and have to get a taxi from Perth International airport to Perth Domestic, where I need to get my connecting flight to Sydney, then Sydney to Canberra.

I arrive in Canberra at about 09.30, collect my bag and head down the escalator, I look around for Caroline but don’t see her, until I virtually fall over her at the bottom of the escalator, she has been staring up at me all the way down and I don’t notice.

Its good to be back in Canberra and its good to be back with Caroline.

I hope you have enjoyed my blogs from Christmas Island and I will keep you posted to where I am going next.

Andy XXxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Yes another Robber crabYes another Robber crab
Yes another Robber crab

I did think they were great


15th October 2010

Back to Auz
It seems like your work on Christmas island was cut short. But as you say, you are needed elsewhere. Yes, I have enjoyed your blogs from the Island. As usual, very informative. And great pictures too. I certainly envy you and Caroline. We live in an awesome area, but my travellers heart still belongs to Australia. When do you think you will resume your travels? As always, great blogs from you both.

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0928s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb