Weird and Wonderful


Advertisement
Published: July 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Chooks on top of a HatChooks on top of a HatChooks on top of a Hat

Cannot imagine anyone wearing one of these, can you?
Geo: -35.281, 149.149

Another beautiful day in the land of Aus. and we set off for the Bus Depot Market on the Kingston Foreshore. Two floors just full of stalls, food, drinks and plants down stairs and up stairs was a mixture of everything from scarves, jewellery, leather goods and art.

Some beautiful stuff but really expensive, I liked a bag and when I looked at the price it stayed there, $850 was just a bit more then I had to spend. Stunning Art pieces in acrylic which were 3D, the woman just layers and layers until she gets the effect she wants.

We had lunch of pancakes, mixed berries, ice-cream, cream and chocolate hot fudge, needless to say the diet is not working very well at all, but it was yummie.

We then walked to the Canberra Glassworks, next door, which operates out of the historic Kingston Powerhouse in Kingston it is the only cultural centre that is wholly dedicated to contemporary glass art.

We watched three people making objects out of glass blowing, we could sit in a gallery upstairs to watch. We then went to see a woman who was Flameworking glass, making small beads and who explained what she was
Glass ArtGlass ArtGlass Art

Colourful lights from Glass
doing and how you get different colours whilst she did it. Kat explained that pink or red glass is the most expensive because the colour comes from Gold, which other colours are created from Steel, Iron and Zinc the small particals are called frit which are ground glass.

We called at their shop afterwards and the most expensive object was an art piece worth $3800, other pieces were around $200 if you wanted a plate or vase. The glass paperweights were $40 and to make your own, it was $40 but being a Sunday we needed to have booked in and instead watched a girl make her own paperweight.

Once again another great day, just wish we could win tattslotto and just keep going in the caravan, we are both loving the experience.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Working the GlassWorking the Glass
Working the Glass

Incredible watching a small bit of glass on the end of the Rod, they put in the furnes, then work with it to get the desired shape
Blowing GlassBlowing Glass
Blowing Glass

Would do this and then dip it in frit which were splinters of glass then put it into the furness to melt it in.
Kat Firing glassKat Firing glass
Kat Firing glass

Making a bead in clear glass
A Blue BeadA Blue Bead
A Blue Bead

After dipping the bead in blue frit and firing it.
Glass ArtGlass Art
Glass Art

$3,800 lovely but the price was quite steep.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb