Day 177 - Cowra to Canberra


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Australian Capital Territory
September 20th 2015
Published: September 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Cowra Japanese GardensCowra Japanese GardensCowra Japanese Gardens

Under a huge cherry blossom tree
Before we left Cowra, we stopped in to the Japanese Gardens and acquainted ourselves with the history of Cowra and specifically the POW camp at Cowra during World War 2.

The POW camp was built to hold 4,000 prisoners and by 1944 was overcrowded. Italians, Koreans, Formosans and Japanese were housed at Cowra at this time but a plan to split the Japanese prisoners by sending lower ranks to Hay seems to be the catalyst for the breakout attempt.

Early on 5th August 1944, the Japanese in B compound set fire to their huts and stormed the barbed wire perimeter fence. Over 300 Japanese escaped but they were all re-captured within a few weeks. The breakout attempt cost the lives of four Australian soldiers and 231 Japanese. Many of the Japanese committed suicide as they believed that it was dishonourable and humiliating to be a prisoner.

The dead were buried in the Cowra Cemetery and after the war, other Japanese soldiers (from the battle of Darwin) were re-interred at Cowra making this the only Japanese war cemetery in Australia. In 1963 the land was ceded to Japan.

As a means of reconciliation, the Japanese Gardens were planned
Cowra Japanese GardensCowra Japanese GardensCowra Japanese Gardens

The entrance - an avenue of cherry blossom and Japanese sculpture
and established during the 1970's. Further funding (mostly provided by the City of Tokyo) and expanding of the gardens occurred during the 1980's. Many gifts from Japanese companies and individuals have been provided to the gardens. The Japanese Gardens are the largest in the Southern Hemisphere.

After lunch and feeding the magpies, we travelled south to Canberra where we met Catherine (Georgi's daughter) and her partner Ben. Their neighbour has been feeding the birds for some years and there are always birds to be seen in the street and the gardens. We took photos of blue and white cheeked Rosellas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Cowra Japanese GardensCowra Japanese Gardens
Cowra Japanese Gardens

Many Japanese visit Cowra to see the gardens and pay respect to relatives. This family had just finished tolling the peace bell, the only one of its kind in Australia.
Cowra Japanese GardensCowra Japanese Gardens
Cowra Japanese Gardens

There is a lookout where you can survey most of the gardens
Cowra Japanese GardensCowra Japanese Gardens
Cowra Japanese Gardens

Georgi feeding baby ducks
Cowra War Cemetery Cowra War Cemetery
Cowra War Cemetery

The Japanese section of the cemetery
Crimson Rosella in CanberraCrimson Rosella in Canberra
Crimson Rosella in Canberra

This one had flown to the house next door and was hanging off a ventilation window.


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb