All TheT's-Lovely


Advertisement
Published: February 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Kim, Caroline and meKim, Caroline and meKim, Caroline and me

This is my cousin Kim, she has been in Australia for 3 months and is due to leave on Thursday.
Hi Bloggers, again we have been pretty busy, last weekend we were at a "working bee" at the Queanbeyan Show ground as it was our 4 wheel drive biannual promotion on the11 & 12 February, which is put on between three clubs, the ACT 4 wheel drive club, the Landrover club and Southern Table Lands Club, as well as raising funds for the clubs a huge 60% goes to charity.

This year’s Charities are the Royal Flying Doctors, VKS 737 and a few other local charities, I can’t believe it was two years ago when we went to the last promo, as it was then when we decided to join the ACT 4 wheel drive club, and as we remember the weather was just hideous. After 10 years of drought, the rain chose to start on that weekend and it rained for about 36 hours non stop!

"A working Bee" is a helping party where we all have to pull our weight and help out, this was a new word for us when we first came to Australia. The show was Saturday and Sunday of this week and we had been rostered to do some jobs but nothing serious.
Kim and meKim and meKim and me

The first realations to visit us in Australia.


A few Months ago, I received an e-mail from my cousin Kim, in the UK, who was coming to Australia for a holiday and would come and spend some time with us. Well in the week, Kim told us that she and her fella John would be in town on Saturday night and we would catch up for dinner.

Friday night, we left work and went straight to the show ground as Caroline was rostered on to help in the Kitchen, so when we turned up it was me who put the pinny on and started on one of the BBQ's and cooking onions, steak and Sausages for a couple of hundred people, who were also part of the working Bee.

Whilst I was on the BBQ Caroline, sort of loitered with intent and when all the food was cooked, by me and a few of the guys, Caroline was in the servery line with a few others helping to dish it up.

It was a good evening and the food was great, fortunately we were cooking and serving and not washing up, that was left to others.

We got home about 9.00pm which was
Kimberley KaravanKimberley KaravanKimberley Karavan

This is what 100 Grand will get you. They are absolutly beautiful
late enough since we had been in the office at 07.30, but it was early to bed as we had to be back in Queanbeyan as early was we could in the morning.

I was up at 5.00am, flask of tea done, showered and shaved and Caroline’s tea left on her bedside cabinet by 6.00am as I wanted to be away by 7.00am.

We did get away nearly on time, and got to Macca's for our coffee en route, as we pulled up in civic two hot air balloons were just floating over the town centre so Caroline went to get the coffee and I went to the truck to get the camera.

By the time I got the camera from the truck, took it out of the truck and took the lens cap off I found the battery was flat and had to go back to the truck to put a freshly charged battery in and by the time I was ready one of the balloons had drifted out of sight, isn’t that always the case?

Caroline came back with the coffee, we hopped in the truck and got on our way, arriving at the
Early Morning, in CanberraEarly Morning, in CanberraEarly Morning, in Canberra

There were two Ballons, Caroline went to Macca's to get the coffee,I got the camera, and th ebattery wasflat. By th etime I put a new battery in and got ready, the one Ballon had floated by.
show ground at about 07.30 and went and found our friends at the promo tent.

We didn't have a lot to do today, as we had shifted our rostered work around so we could see Kim tonight which we were happy about and took the free time to wander around the show to check out the gear that we potentially wanted to purchase.

As you know we sold the Wendy house about 8 months ago and we have set the cruiser up the way we want it and have hired the T Vans to see how we get on with it, we have been looking for the next replacement and wanted to use the show as there were a couple of camper trailers, that would be at the promo, but as there had been exceptionally bad weather in Queensland had wondered if the Conqueror Urban Escape vehicle would be turning up, and it did, along with Vista RV.

As we were there nice and early, we managed to walk around the exhibitors before the public even came in, so we had unfettered access to do our homework.

We have three camper trailers in our sight, T
In QueanbeyanIn QueanbeyanIn Queanbeyan

Caroline standing with a cop of tea, out side our Promo Tent at Queanbeyan show ground
Van, Conqueror and Vista RV and we spent a lot of time “umming and arring”.

The weather was absolutely baking and we were glad as two years ago it was horrendous, we left for home at about 2.30 and we wanted a bit of a rest before we met Kim and John at 6.00pm.

After our rest, we went to meet Kim and John at their Hotel in Forrest, a suburb of Canberra and took them to the Eastlake football club, where we had booked a table for dinner. I have not seen Kim for years, and it was so good to see her, we all just seemed to click and the years fell away.

As a young fella, I was very close to her dad, who was a partner in my dad’s Haulage business, and Les and I spent many happy trips together when he used to take me to European countries in the trucks which I absolutely loved and my mum absolutely hated, I think she thought it would expose me to things a very young boy should not be exposed to, which it did but I did love it, and we had lots of
The ConquererThe ConquererThe Conquerer

This was something we were excited to see and had been waiting to see one for ages. This one has been removed from our wish list !!!
fun together. My Dad always stipulated that I could go with the trucks but I could never miss school!

The evening went so quickly we met at 6.00pm and finally left them at just after midnight, talking and drinking all evening it was such good fun.

We got home at around half past midnight and slid under the doona and were soon fast asleep only to be rudely awoken at 5.00am again.

Again the weather was baking hot and we were not rostered to do any work, but we needed to be there to show our support and offer assistance where necessary.

So we had another look around the show, closer to a decision on our new trailer, but we will talk about that another time.

By mid afternoon I had a headache and we had things to do, shopping and getting ready for work so we bailed, on the way home the heavens opened, but as it was it seemed only to be over our suburb and the show was unaffected.

By Sunday night, chores done, dinner cooked and eaten a small gin and tonic drunk we collapsed into bed to await the
Killer Guard Dog.Killer Guard Dog.Killer Guard Dog.

This is a killer guard dog, he was so sweet,Ido love Jack Russels
onset of Monday morning when the merry go round would start all over again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

The concourerThe concourer
The concourer

This looks good, but was no a contender as it hasa soft floor.
Kimberley KaravanKimberley Karavan
Kimberley Karavan

Caroline Loves these, youdon't see many around. Ithink they are to big and it would be ashame to take it up the old telegraph track.
The FJ LandcruiserThe FJ Landcruiser
The FJ Landcruiser

I yearned for one of these, but realised It would no good for us.
That Gorgeous SmileThat Gorgeous Smile
That Gorgeous Smile

Caroline has an infectious smile, that I cannot resist
The Vista RVThe Vista RV
The Vista RV

Weare seriously thinking about one of these,instead of a T-Van. Please send all donations directly to us.
The Mercedes G WagonThe Mercedes G Wagon
The Mercedes G Wagon

Re launched,but wouldn't do our trip in one of these, beatiful to drive around Sydney Though.


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0965s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb