13 - 14 October 2012


Advertisement
Published: October 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Saturday we moved on from Berry and headed south along the Princes Highway arriving in Milton just before lunch. We took a stroll along the main street and visited two local art galleries which had some impressive paintings on display. After getting some supplies for lunch we drove through to Batemans Bay all the while being surrounded by remarkable NSW State Forest. We had a bite to eat looking out to sea at a picnic area and then hit the road again.

Our course had us now heading north-west up the Kings Highway. The scenery on the way was inspiring as the forest vegetation thickened with towering trees overhead and beautiful ferns scattered as far as the eye could see. We had plenty of time to admire the view as the van was struggling with the steady incline toward Braidwood. After a brief stop we headed to our first free camp in nearly two months just out of town. The view couldn't have been better overlooking a fast flowing river and in the other direction a lush green expanse towards the mountains.

Today (Sunday) we got chatting with some fellow campers just after getting up. With a 4WD and caravan they had a much better set up than us and we were fortunate to be the recipients of their hospitality as they made us a cappuccino to get the day started.

We had Canberra in our sights as we set off and before long we were crossing the border into the ACT. The geographical location of our nation's capital is striking and makes for a beautiful city. Driving into Canberra the first thing that struck me was the wide laned roads and picturesque surroundings.

After lunch in the affluent suburb of Kingston we made our way across town to the Exhibition Park and found a campsite for the next few days. We are only eight kms out of the city centre so I cannot wait to see the sights tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb