at the ANU


Advertisement
Published: April 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Narooma. Big offshore island is the striking feature. Then on to Bateman's Bay and Ulladulla.
Tuesday. The striking feature in Mollymook (a bird) is a flat rock headland which is triple-tiered. As waves break over the front they replenish the top pool. These rocks are perfectly flat so the water overflows the edge evenly for 50 meters at each level. Would be the envy of many an engineered urban water feature designer. Looming in the distance the south arm of Jervis Bay. Sunny day and the water so warm. Ulladulla good spruiking.
Wednesday. Driving to Canberra, stopped at Braidwood for half hour. Wow. Stickers hot. In Queanbeyan went to "Age" newspaper. Should get story. "Canberra Times" not interested. Spruiking in Civic disappointing. Felt disspirited. Went up Mt. Ainslie for view and beer. Oak and maple trees turning autumn red. Haven't seen that for 26 years. Old Brit Aussie got stickers. Crimson rosella and currawongs. Went to Kingston at five. Super response made day a success.
Thursday. Fyshwick Markets. Spruiked and ate. Then to Black Mountain for open schelerophyll forrest and views of city/countryside. Stickers went out in lovliest of settings. Over to ANU for a look. Finally parkland parked where I saw two parrots. Red head and bib. White cheeks. Yellow and black back. Yellow then green body. Purple wing edges and tail. Red ass. And roos grazing. Seems Canberra's an open air zoo.
Found out my stickers from Perth were sent back due to mix-up. Then got a wish. Saw faunal emblem of ACT (briefly). Picture of gang-gang was on magazine cover in Manuka.
So there you go - you never know.
All grey body and pale red head with wild plumage! Now another bird with a black mask.
Later in Manuka, man (Aboriginal) got ten stickers and said he would be promoting design with his people. I mention this because some people ask me what the Aboriginal people think. They, of course have diverse opinions. Many have liked my design but. Dinner at $17.50 all-you-can-eat was a tour de force. I ate a proper dinner serve of carbonara pasta and left only scraps on a six-slice ham and pineapple pizza. I thought I might hurt myself but didn't even feel stuffed. Had a marathon runner friend, she could gorge on pasta, so maybe I'm burning a lot of fuel. Walking the streets is great exercise.
Lovely Friday. Spruiked early risers in front of Manuka newsagency. Mini gold rush. Crisp morning air soon gave way to sun, becoming warm. The capitol of the Lucky Country is thick with republicans. Walking the laneways of the National Folk Festival is another story. Walked through the entrance with a wave of a sticker, flag on my shoulder. This was the flaggers dream. (Remember Nannup). Distributed 50 stickers in two hours, a record. Republic all the go. Then up rock the guards and ask for my entry bracelet. Oops! Escorted to exit.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.2022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb