Canberra and Mount Kosciuszko


Advertisement
Published: December 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I left Sydney on the 20th of December and headed to Canberra with a lovely group and tour guide - "Bananas."

We went to the initially modern and ugly Houses of Parliament, which was very educational. We went inside and learnt a bit more about it and came to appreciate it more! You could go up onto the roof garden, symbolising that the people control the parliament and not the other way round.

We then drove in the Snowy Mountains. When we got to the hostel we jumped into the hot tub before getting our dinner. A fun time was had by all after dinner thanks to my first and last session with a box of goon.

The following day the group set out to Mount Kosciuszko (named after a Polish guy and pronounced Kozzy oss co) which is the highest point in Australia. We got the ski lift, yes it does snow in Australia, most of the way up, but hiked the remaining 6km to the top. I've lost a lot of fitness so it was harder than it should have been! The way down was much easier though.

That afternoon we drove on to Lakes Entrance and had "flake," and chips, I have since learnt that flake is shark. Very yummy!

The following day mostly we drove and drove until I was dropped off just 5 minutes from where my great aunt Dot and great uncle Fred live, in Dandenong, about 45mins from Melbourne.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



30th December 2008

box of goon
what on earth is a box of goon? I didn't know Emu were wild in Australia!?
2nd January 2009

gooch
Yes, when I heard the word goon I thought unfortunately of your gooch, when it was full of pus. bleugh. Goon is that cheap wine in a box! xxx

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb