Downer is no downer


Advertisement
Published: November 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Patrick and FrankiePatrick and FrankiePatrick and Frankie

Frankie the Super Dog - as happy as, well, a dog at a pig on the spit
This weekend it was Amy and Ra’s housewarming in thirsty Canberra. Apparently Canberra is so dry most summers that Yvette’s mum has to fill their pool with the grey water from the washing machine. Poor things. I have images of the Templars sitting in tepid water just like that Kath and Kim episode where they buy the Belvedere spa from the fruits of their modelling money.

So of course when we get to Canberra it’s been raining and the drought has been broken several weeks earlier. No matter, we all loved our trip to our nation’s capital - Goulbourn - and the larger city an hour south of it. Amy and Ra have been living in Canberra for a year now and have recently bought a great 4 bedroom house in Downer.

The theme of their party was “Headlines from 2005” and there were some great costumes. I particularly liked Ah Toy’s pope. Luckily for him it was three costumes in one. Lying in state in the living room he could pretend to be John Paul. As he sat and chatted, next to the rising white smoke from the pig on the spit (indicative of a successful papal election)
Superdog to the rescueSuperdog to the rescueSuperdog to the rescue

Frankie takes to the skies
he could be Benedict, and while drunk and dancing with Zappala he could be the first Asian pope in history. Mary was Intelligent Design (although I’d swear she came as Sydney Bristow AKA Jennifer Garner), Danni was an Industrial Relations Bill (great overalls), Amy was Harry, Harry Kewell and Zappala came as a pregnant Princess Mary - although she was more of a pregnant Britney when she got on the dance floor. I was a mail order bride - Helena Carr style.

Our favourite dog Frankie was given a great Super Dog costume and looked fantastic.

There were many highlights of the party. Most of them derived from Amy and Ra hiring a slushy (not “sloooshy” Amy!) machine. Some 8 year old kid drank a couple of glasses before his mum realised they were alcoholic.

Gavin went crazy at his wife after she had kicked him during some domestic bliss altercation. He ended up locking himself in his BMW and making Danni and Mary (and their 2 ugly dogs) walk back to their hotel. I wanted to pour paint on his car but Amy wouldn’t let me. No matter.

On the Sunday Ra and his mates
Bless this DaneBless this DaneBless this Dane

The Pope shares pregnancy tips with Princess Mary
went porn shopping while the rest of us went to Yum Cha - Canberra style. This was pretty good; although Ah Toy’s keen senses detected frozen dumplings.

Was a great trip. The one lingering question from the party - if someone lives in a city that is usually drought stricken, is it cruel to give them an inflatable pool as a housewarming present?

We got home pretty quickly. Do you know there are only four sets of traffic lights between Amy’s house in Canberra and my place in Bondi Junction. Crazy.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Harry and JessieHarry and Jessie
Harry and Jessie

He's crazy like a fool - oh that's Harry Kewell


6th December 2005

No dissing my mum!
Very good Patrick! She also collects rain water that runs off the verandah in a bucket and I also have to pour any un-used drinking water into the water canister she uses to water the indoor plants. Go mum!! Such a good Canberra resident. Supporting the Raiders n' all as well....

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb