Santa Monica-Venice Beach 28-30 Dec 2011


Advertisement
North America
December 31st 2011
Published: January 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Monkey Anna 48 secs
So you know you're in California when it's 29th Dec and you're playing frisbee (Stormer's frisbee!) on the beach at 11am! A pleasant but surreal start to our big adventure and our 1st time in America.

Staying in Santa Monica has been perfect for us and is really peaceful and restful despite our ignorant fears that it would be all brashness and at an overwhelming hectic pace. We have been to the pier and found the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., I can't tell you how excited I was to find that and purchase my hat (complete with bottle opener in the peak - I kid you not!), a baseball and a "Stupid is as Stupid Does" licence plate.....

It took a while not to feel like we were in a movie or had touched down somewhere Mediterranean due to the heat and the Romanesque quality of the buildings and houses....the palm trees and huge food portions soon let us know where we are! The scale of things is massive and it is a priviledge to have the opportunity to see it and have four more months of exploring here, Oz and NZ - we feel amazing blessed.

The diversity is amazing to behold and only a half mile from Santa Monica beach is Venice Beach which is much edgier and eclectic than it's manicured and sprinkler-tastic neighbour. It has an aroma of its own much reminiscent of Amsterdam (you know what I'm saying....) and at times parts of Brighton in the UK! But it's a great place to hang out and we found the brilliant Venice Ale House and had proper beer inspired by European beers but brewed in California. As a guy next to me said there's nothing better than "sitting at the edge of the world" (whilst his son is in Indiana, I'm not judging though, he did spend Xmas with him after all!)We've had great food too but that will be a separate blog methinks.

On returning to Santa Monica pool rivalries have recommenced as the latest trans Pacific Elaine & Anna tournament began with Anna taking a strong lead 4-2 in frames so far! Never fear I will fight back....This concluded a sporting day for Anna who showed great flexibility on the asymmetrical bars on the beach! (See video for all the gory details).

The people here are very friendly and hospitable and anything seems possible as long as you can see your way through the evening smog that descends once the sun goes to bed. Hardly surprising when you see the size and numbers of the cars here - unbelieveably massive!! But it's all part of the tapestry of life here it seems.

So here's to New Year's Eve in LA & Santa Monica which will be the next blog and Happy New Year wherever you are. Elaine & Anna xxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



3rd January 2012

Happy New Year Waltigans!!
Hey guys, Happy New Year to y'all, so glad to hear you're enjoying the good ole US of A and are up to your usual hijinks! Enjoy the rest of Californiay and look forward to hearing your next update soon, love Em, James & Sambo xxx

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb