six weeks of "bliss"!!!!


Advertisement
North America
August 16th 2011
Published: August 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

In the beginning.........we had jobs.......and we hated them!! Living to survive is not my idea of living, but you gotta eat. We decide enough was enough.
After taking a few awesome trips a few summers ago(cruise to Alaska, riding motorbikes in Canada), we got this crazy idea to call it quits and hit the open road. The idea was to save up some money, plan for a extended cross-country trip, and make it out to the west coast by fall. All the while enjoying what we loved to do!
We left Savannah, Ga. fourth of July weekend.....and never looked back! The plan was to stop at my brothers house for two weeks, prep the adventure gear and ready the pull behind trailer that we purchased solely for this trip. By the 18th of July we were on the road. First stop Asheville, NC.
Arrived in A-ville and spent the next two weeks visiting friends, camping, hiking, fishing, riding motorbikes, and drinking lots of good micro-brew! We were having so much fun that we didn't want to leave. The time came and we packed up for the road. As a last hurrah we camped out in Hot Springs for our last night in NC. It brought back fond memories of all the good times from previous trips there. Morning of the 30th we were on our way to Indiana.
Made it as far as Carmel, IN. and spent the night in a Wal-mart parking lot. We watched a few episodes of Long Way Round that night then hit the sack in the back of Stacy's truck. After a wrestles night(warm humid night) we hit the local Steak-n-Shake(200 yards away) for the all you-can-eat pancake extravaganza!! With our bellies full we once again hit the road for South Bend.
Once in town we made a beeline to one of Stacy's cousins house. Their humble abode is situated in farm country with gently rolling hills as the backdrop. Steve and Britt(her cousin) have been kind enough to put us up for the duration of our stay. Our local adventures so far include a back yard BBQ get together with all of the extended family, a trip to Warren Dunes State Park, where there was much eating, playing, swimming in Lake Michigan, and the general laziness that encompasses at trip to a fresh water beach. Next up was a double feature drive-in that we took in with Steve and Britt. There's something to be said about watching a drive in movie in the back of a big Dodge Ram 2500.
Britt was also kind enough to hook us up with a part time gig doing some landscaping. The owner, an awesome guy named Brandon Powell, needed a few extra hands so we decided to give it a go. WOW.....landscaping is hard work!! We've only been working a few days a week but man can I feel it in the muscles. The real kicker is that Brandon has some really cool parents and they feed us lunch on days that we're around.....I should have warned them that Stacy is a bottomless pit!!!
Well, its our final week here and we've decided to camp out at Potato Creek State Park this weekend. Camping with Stacy's family should prove to be a fun outing! They are of the loud and boisterous type who seem to have fun no matter where they go! Next weeks destination is the Upper-Peninsula Michigan.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



16th August 2011

Jealous
Make me jealous. School has started and I need to get my travel fix through you guys.
17th August 2011

That's SO AWESOME
I REALLY liked reading the play by play. I'm not even a wilderness buff but it made me want to hit the road too! If only....no bills, job and kids to feed!! I love that your doing this blog so we can all envision we're on the trip with you. One can only dream...for us workin' folk anyway!!! Love you both!!!!!
17th August 2011

looks fun
looks like you guys are having a great time, take care and keep in touch
31st August 2011

Oh Yeah!!
Dream big--cause dreams do come true!!! Especially with hard work, saving and planning to make them happen! Travel safe, play like crazy and keep us posted!
9th September 2011

just firgured out how to get on your blog . so hi nicepics keeping them coming got your postcard from spam. ha ha hope your having fun for all us hard working souls back here! love ya later!

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb