The Strater Hotel - Durango, Colorado


Advertisement
North America
July 15th 2011
Published: August 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

 The Old Strater Hotel The Old Strater Hotel The Old Strater Hotel

This hotel was built in 1888 and has more mahogany antiques than anywhere else in the United States. A night here is like going back in time over 100 years! Truly a beautiful place!
We took Patricia Noel to the Strater Hotel for dinner and a play for her birthday! The play was a delightful melodrama called The Pursuit of Happiness. Dinner at the Mahogany Grille was fabulous ! This hotel was built in 1888 and has more mahogany antiques than anywhere else in the United States.

Durango was built in 1881 by the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad to serve the San Juan Mining District. It sits on the Animas river which runs through town and is known for it's spectacular white water rafting, world class fly fishing, kayaking and canoeing. Durango is nestled among the San Juan mountains and is also popular for outdoor activities like hiking, mountain biking, backpacking, rock climbing, hunting, off roading, and last but not least world class golfing.

The San Juan Symphony performs here during the "Season of Appreciation" all year long from February until November. There are numerous art galleries to enjoy as well as fabulous restaurants for your dining pleasure.

It is most famous for the Durango & Silverton Narrow Guage Railroad, a heritage railroad which travels between Durango and Silverton, Colorado. The steam trains began travelling this mountain route in early 1920
Narrow Gauge RailroadNarrow Gauge RailroadNarrow Gauge Railroad

This is just one of many trains that make the run from Durango to historic Silverton, Colorado.
and before and still runs today.

Durango is a fun town with many restaurants, pubs, and shops for browsing and buying should you be in the mood. We love the old time quaintness of this lovely town.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0917s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb