Vancouver and Whistler


Advertisement
North America
July 26th 2010
Published: July 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

To be honest I had no idea what I wanted to do on my first day in Vancouver. I started out deciding on renting a bike for the day. I was equipped with a bike, helmet, backpack and map for only $17.00; thanks to the 30% off coupon my guesthouse offered me. After getting situated and realizing my fellow friend Georgita would rather die than put on a used helmet, I took off on my little adventure through downtown Vancouver. A little disoriented, almost one accident (darn truck), and a twenty minute pleasant sea coast ride I found my way to Stanley Park. I parked my bike and walked through the crafted totem poles. Weaving through a bunch a tourists I was able to snap excellent photos all wondering what my family's totem would look like. I think I am a Raven!

In the mist of everything I noticed a young man trying to grab the attention of other tourists to take a photo for him. He appeared as lost as I, so naturally, I quickly started a coversation, and minutes later he became my new Swiss biking companion. I was so proud that I made my first new friend. The journey continued for hours around the sea wall biking path. We talked about families, jobs, and our countries (pretty typical conversations) while taking in the sparkeling waters of English Bay and the peaceful sounds of the cool ocean breeze. Across the bay was Granville Island. We locked the bikes to the nearest pole and jumped on the ferry to the quaint island and enjoyed the fresh fruit at the farmers market, lunch, art shops, and a sweaty English magician's one hour street performance before heading back to the main island. After we returned, I continued around the rest of the city, while Thomas returned his bike. I enjoyed his company and although I will probably never see him again, at the very least I have a new facebook friend and a day I'll never forget.

Saturday morning a tourist bus arrived at 8 am to bring me to Whistler. I was very excited for my Monkido adventure. Monkido is an outdoor adventure of ziplines, tight ropes and aerial oubstacle courses in the Whistler mountains. I strapped on my " I- should- be- driving- a -Subaru" sandals before boarding the two hour bus ride with two Americans Margeret and Sis, an Austrailian Sam, a couple from Ireland, and two individuals from Montreal. Our tour guide was Peter who was extremely informative as we journeyed up the breathtaking Pacific Coast.

The Monkido challenge was strenous. I am not thrilled about heights so essentially every obstacle was difficult. My knees wobbled at every station. The worse was the hanging logs. The lower half of my body was "balanced" on the logs, while the upper half was God knows where. At this point, I had a few choice words about my brilliant idea for a day trip! What a workout, probably the best I've had since triple sessions during college preseason. I'm still sore!

After the Monkido, I had just enough time to ride the Gondilla to the top of the snow capped Whistler mountains and scouff down lunch before it was time to return to Vancouver. It was a 25 minute climb with two very entertaining nineteen year old girls, Tara and Madeline. I listened to their college drinking stories the entire time smirking every so often. The duo was very generous to invite me to eat lunch with them. They are definitely at the age where they feel bad for people eating alone. I took the offer and reminisced about the good ole college days.

I am able to report that I spotted three bears: a mama and two little ones. Unfortunately my camera is sloooooow and the gondilla moved too fast. Now if only I can see a whale, my trip will be complete.

While waiting for the bus, I had a lovely conversation with two retired ladies Margaret and Sis. They were so cute. I wish I continue to have the drive to travel with my friends when I am that age. They have been friends for thirty years and Margaret was trekking on a broken foot. (Doll that is going to be you and I when we are little viejas). Both of the raved about Victoria on Vancouver Island showing me pictures. THis when I started to decide that a detour may be a good idea.

Vancouver is having a firework competition with many countries from around the world. On Saturday it was Spain's turn to display what they are made of. I am very thankful that Sam escorted me to English bay. I didn't want to do the hike to the opposite end of the city all alone. Spain's performance was very impressive and Sam and I had very nice conversations.

My last day in Vancouver I decided to first sleep in. I walked down to Gastown to check out the Steam powered clock and grabbed a meal other than pizza. After lunch, I headed to the aquarium to watch the Beluga whales do headstands. A quick bus ride brought me back to my Guesthouse where I mapped and booked my hostel for Victoria. For dinner, I headed down the street to Steamworks brewery where I was completely engaged in a political conversation with two drunk parents from Louisiana. Lets just say they are not fans of the president. The husband, a bashful drunk, went missing and later was rescued by the bartender. The wife, however suffered from diarrhea of the mouth and enlightened me and another young man with family stories. I have to say I must thank the bartender for pealing me away from my book; the night turned out to be much more entertaining than expected.

Next stop Victoria! Stay tuned...

Christina


Advertisement



31st July 2010

I READ
I just finished your entries... looks like you are having such a fantastic time! Can't wait to hear more about it! LOVE that you have been finding travel buddies along the way. You still owe me a call back! Miss you hugs allie! :)

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb