South Pass City, Wyoming


Advertisement
North America
June 1st 2009
Published: June 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

South Pass CitySouth Pass CitySouth Pass City

Notice the population of the town as "about 7".
South Pass City is one of the most authentic and complete historic sites in the country. Today you can see the 30 historic log, frame and stone buildings that remain on 39 acres of land. At an elevation of 7,905 ft. above sea level and it is a mountain pass on the Continental Divide in the Rocky Mountains in southwestern Wyoming. It is approximately 35 miles SSW of Lander, Wyoming. The pass furnishes a natural crossing point of the Rockies and has historically been the route for the Oregon Trail, the California Trail and the Mormom Trail during the late 18th Century and the early 19th Century. It is just too bad that Lewis and Clark did not discover this area as it is the easiest passage over the Rocky Mountains. Sacajawea's grave is here as well. She was very involved in the Lewis and Clark expedition by translating between Lewis and Clark and the Indians. She later married one of the party members. South Pass was virtually unknown to everyone except the Indians until around 1812. Lewis and Clark spent several years looking for this pass and never found it until their trip back from Oregon.

South Pass City
Main StreetMain StreetMain Street

There are a total of 30 buildings left standing here at South Pass. I found it interesting that the walls were insulated with sawdust and then covered with muslin and colored milk was used to paint the walls different colors. Wallpaper was also quite common in those days.
experienced its gold rush after the bulk of westward emigration had taken place, although wagons continued to trickle over the nearby geographic South Pass until 1912. South Pass was larely abandoned as a Transportation corridor after the completion of the Union Pacific portion of the Trans-Continental Railroad in 1869.

Wyoming's First Territorial Legislature saw South Pass City saloonkeeper and mine owner, William Bright, introduce a bill to guarantee women's voting rights. In 1870 the county commissioners appointed Esther Morris as justice of the peace, making her the nation's first female judge. When visiting here, be certain to tour all of the buildings. The bath house and saloon/barber shop is particularly interesting. The town's only hotel was also worth touring. Notice the sign as you enter the town of South Pass says
Population - about 7- today it is down to 4. Continuing restoration goes on every year in order to bring this town back to its original condition. It is quite amazing what they have done here to restore this town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Cave/ Fort BourbonThe Cave/ Fort Bourbon
The Cave/ Fort Bourbon

The massive interior stone wall was built in 1868 to protect perishable food and liquor. Archacologists found secretly buried gold inside a cast-iron pot. Folklore says that, when townspeople feared Indian attacks, women and children were locked inside while men went out to fight. Bill is, of course, looking for the bourbon ! Notice how short the doorways are. Bill is 6 ft. tall and the doorway is only a little over 5 ft.
 The Saloon and Barber Shop The Saloon and Barber Shop
The Saloon and Barber Shop

Cutting and shaving always goes better with a shot of your favorite liquor !
The Mercantile BuildingThe Mercantile Building
The Mercantile Building

This building was once the mining store and you could purhcase things such as shampoo, soap, groceries, towels, etc. here. Today it is operating as a souvenir shop.
 Another Mercantile Building Another Mercantile Building
Another Mercantile Building

This building was once a hotel.
 Individual Homes Individual Homes
Individual Homes

Most of these small one or two room homes were occupied by the citizens of South Pass during the mining period from 1860 to 1915.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 6; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1019.9kb