You are interested in doing what? Where?


Advertisement
North America
April 7th 2009
Published: April 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Train TrestleThe Train TrestleThe Train Trestle

The trestle was built by engineer Jerry Holmes. It is 35 feet long, has 777 hand cut cedar boards and stands 13 inches tall. It can be dismantled into seven 5 ft. sections.
Well the holidays were wonderful and the weather was a little cooler than normal here in beautiful Florida.

All the typical holiday parties were loads of fun and the desire for social activities is never lacking at Riverbend.

We had a group here (4 guys and one gal) who wanted to start a miniature railroad. First we jumped through the proper hoops with our management team in order to get this started. The Riverbend and SouthWest Florida Railroad is up and running. The laying of the original circle of track was done by Bill Severns and Jerry Holmes in the spring of 2008.

A train going around in one simple circle however is very boring without having something else interesting to watch. Patti came up with the idea to build a village and Bill came up with the idea of adding on some additional track, reverse loops, and turnouts to make the village more interesting. Jerry Holmes, an engineer by trade, built a 35 foot- long trestle to add more interest and we were off and running. The trains ran in this country from the 1920's through the 1950's and some are still running today from Durango to
The Old Southern ChurchThe Old Southern ChurchThe Old Southern Church

No village is complete without the Old Southern Church standing out in the background. Here a little humor was added by having the bride dragging the groom into the church by the collar.
Silverton, Colorado. There are 5 trains here in all. The engines weigh as much as 38 lbs. each and are exact replicas of the original trains right down to the latches on the doors and windows. The railroad has become the most popular attraction in the park on Saturday mornings and we now have close to 200 or more visitors each week.

The buildings are all hand made and custom built by Bill Maxey, Bill Bartels and Larry Wall and designed, painted, and decorated by Patti Maxey and JoAnn Wall. They are built to scale of 1:20.3 and must be of the time period from 1920's to 1950. The village is built around the era the trains actually ran in this country and all buildings must conform to that era.

It is a true labor of love and we are having a great time doing it. When the village was started, 12 loads of soil were hauled in to elevate the area for the village. Two rivers were built to connect the village and allow for drainage during the rainy season. Special grass that only grows an inch a year and never needs to be mowed was installed
McMillan's Marina & Crab ShackMcMillan's Marina & Crab ShackMcMillan's Marina & Crab Shack

What a great place to dock your boat and have lunch on the river!
along with other landscaping of natural plants, ferns, and miniture trees.

Once the building of the buildings for the village was started, it took off like a rocket and we spent most of the winter months of December, January, February and March building the town. A total of 67 buildings have been designed and 47 are completed to date. Each building is requested by a resident of the park and it brings back a sentimental memory from their past as they view it each week. During the Christmas season, the village is illuminated at night and we gather on Christmas eve for carolling around the village. We plan to expand the village each year until the area is complete. We have an area called "Alligator Flats" which will be landscaped much like the Florida Everglades with buildings on stilts. There will also be a commercial and warehouse area added along with a tunnel. If you get a chance to visit southern Florida in the winter, come by and see us at Riverbend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Schuler's Riverside RestaurantSchuler's Riverside Restaurant
Schuler's Riverside Restaurant

This place has great food and it is a wonderful place for a wedding reception!
The Karleton HotelThe Karleton Hotel
The Karleton Hotel

Every city needs a nice hotel !
 Wall Drug Store Wall Drug Store
Wall Drug Store

The world famous Wall Drug Store was originally located in South Dakota and was built in the early 1930's . Along the highway leading up to the drug store were small signs along the road similar to the old Burma shave signs. Wall Drug sold EVERYTHING, including cowboy boots ! They gave free ice water and lemonade
 The Riverbend Train Station The Riverbend Train Station
The Riverbend Train Station

Here is the bustling Riverbend Train Station and you can see there is a lot of activity here!
Dr. John Stageman's OfficeDr. John Stageman's Office
Dr. John Stageman's Office

This building is a replica of Dr. John Stageman's office in the UP of Michigan. Dr. John Stageman, his father and his grandfather all operated from this office during the last 60 years.
The Riverbend Fire Dept.The Riverbend Fire Dept.
The Riverbend Fire Dept.

The Riverbend Fire Department is one of the most popular buildings at the railroad village. It is an exact replica of a fire department of 1938. Even the fire truck is an exact replica of the same year.
Chafton's Service StationChafton's Service Station
Chafton's Service Station

Chafton's Service Station is an exact replica of a Standard Oil Station from 1936.
Noel's General Store & Martin's Broadway MarketNoel's General Store & Martin's Broadway Market
Noel's General Store & Martin's Broadway Market

Both of these stores are in the downtown area of the village and resemble the stores of grandparents of two citizens of Riverbend.
McBride's WeldingMcBride's Welding
McBride's Welding

This was a fun building to construct. Notice the welders on the front porch preparing for a new welding job !
 The Village The Village
The Village

This is just one part of the village. The village was so much fun to build and each and every building is uniquely different from the others.
Patti and the VillagePatti and the Village
Patti and the Village

Patti and the crew really enjoyed building this village. It holds a special memories for many people here at Riverbend.
These guys started it All These guys started it All
These guys started it All

Bill Maxey, Bill Severns and Jerry Holmes started it all. It was their idea to have the train and work began in January of 2008.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb